Finding a private room/space (to rent) to use as a studio

sheateeley

I live in an apartment, and it looks like that's not going to change any time soon. Because of this, I've always used headphones for all of my production. I've been producing for too many years to keep doing this... I really need to get a somewhat legitimate setup with nice monitors and all that. I tried that once, but ended up selling the monitors because the bass was just way too loud, and I couldn't mix comfortably without worrying about my neighbors. Well that, and I needed the cash.

So I'm looking to rent a room/artist space/something like that where I could leave my desk and gear 24/7, but I'm not exactly sure how to find a place like that. I live in Chicago, so it seems like there should be something around here that would suit my needs, but I just don't know where to start looking. I feel like my music won't be able to reach the "next level" if I continue mixing and all of that in headphones, and I'm not going to be able to afford a house or more space or anything until I can (hopefully) make money making music.

Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

You would probably have to rent an office space but I don't know how much that would cost. The cost of apartment rent plus office rent could be high, it may be better to rent a house depending on cost out there.

yep rent a house
done
because you'll spend more money on renting a office space plus some sound proofing not to be confused with acoustic treatment
and then you have to pay apt. rent

get smart and hit up the home rental ads
go for a two bedroom home
which is usually cheaper
and one without a basement
use one room as your studio(the master bedroom it will be bigger)
and use the smaller room as your bedroom
make sure to rent in a decent area
and don't run your mouth about having a studio

-Coach Antonio

Thanks for the advice. I actually found a studio with a $50/day studio B... Obviously with that price I'm sure it's not fit for a king, but their monitors are nice, and I figure any room with treatment and decent monitors is better than mixing on headphones. For $50 per 10-hour day, I figure that I can do most of my production at my current apartment in my headphones, then when I'm ready to do final mixdowns, take my computer over to their studio and work it all out.

Your writing style says a lot about who you are and in my opinion I’d have to say you’re insightful. This post reflects many of my own thoughts on this subject. You are truly unique.

Back