Finally Finished my Acoustic Treatment Build!

Ledger Note

We are Ledger Note
This is a kind of crazy story. At least 7 to 8 years ago, I found some old cubicle walls in the basement of an old factory job. I looked up the manufacturer and found that they used Owens Corning 703, which is THE rigid fiberglass to use for broadband absorbers. So I asked if I could have them and the boss was more than happy for me to "clean up the basement" for him.

I ended up building frames, choosing fabric, and building these all right before I moved to a new apartment. They ended up getting crammed in storage till about a month ago when I moved again and finally hung them. I can finally be loud without being inconsiderate of neighbors, so i'm back at it.

The cubicle walls... two of them had full pieces of 2-inch thick 703 while two others were comprised of cut pieces. I don't know if they were left overs but at least they were all uniform in size, which led to all of the small panels.

2yspxVD.jpg

noW74mw.jpg

ieysb2G.jpg

lzXekms.jpg

pHnWYc2.jpg

^ Look how flush the face of the fabric is to the frame! So proud :)

Continuing in second post...

f3umWMl.jpg

^ There is a full view of the larger reflection panels and how I made them sturdy and square, and also added a spacer to keep it floating with the proper air gap.

cjwLfdm.jpg

^ And that's how my hook system ended up working out. Perfectly. You can't see any of this from 95% of the viewing angle. Just beautiful floating panels.

Finally, the culmination of 7 years of work/waiting. I can't believe the difference just these panels made in clarity. The next step is going to be me building some super chunk bass traps for the corner, a giant bass trap for the front center wall, and also a cloud for overhead. In becoming obsessed with acoustic treatment, I learned a lot and want to give a shout out to Ethan Winer from Real Traps for all of his contributions across the web regarding acoustics and treatment. I also wrote an overview guide if anyone is interested in covering the entire topic without digging too deep: The Acoustic Treatment Guide for Panels & Foam | LN Writing an overview always helps me solidify and compartmentalize knowledge, or I forget it. I now can say that i not only KNOW about it, but I live it :)

If you're hesitating on treating your recording or listening environment, don't. DO IT! Totally worth it. It's an entirely new order of enjoyment.

Agreed.
I did my room about 2 years ago with 703 (4in panels) and it was a huge difference. Not as noticed when recording vocals but very obvious when mixing /playback songs.

Back