Fiberglass or cellulose?

forensickbeats

I`m planning to make myself sound absorbing panels. Do you have any experience using cellulose material, is it really better then fiberglass?

Check the gas flow resistivity of the materials (the manufacturers should have these details on their spec sheets) and you should have you answer. Rockwool is also a very good alternative

I work with insulation for my day job. For soundproofing and studio treatment, Cellulose and Fiberglass are not desirable... Density blocks sound - Go with Roxul. It's the most dense insulation available. cellulose and fiberglass is too "light" in that regard. Good for keeping you warm, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I work with insulation for my day job. For soundproofing and studio treatment, Cellulose and Fiberglass are not desirable... Density blocks sound - Go with Roxul. It's the most dense insulation available. cellulose and fiberglass is too "light" in that regard. Good for keeping you warm, but that's about it.

You are right if you are blocking sound but if you want to absorb sound ( a different science) then the density is very important. If you get something too dense it will actually reflect back the frequencies you are trying to absorb

Yeah if you're talking about broadband absorption I'd personally go with OC703, the classic absorption panel material if you're doing diy; and maybe burlap as a fabric cover. For more bass-oriented absorption I'd go with the rockwool.

Back