Few basic questions about acoustics

Jay Rone

Setup.png
So the picture above is a sketch of my room(~16m^2), describing the fundamental elements of it. And yet you might have already guessed, it's not being treated in any way to make it's acoustics better, which is the main reason that I'm here.
So, as you see, my setup at the moment is not that good, due to the fact that my left speaker is way further from the wall than my right speaker. And at this point I'd like to notice you that rearranging my room can't be done, because there are several more doors, piano and built-in closets that I need to be capable of using.

So, what I'm asking, is just few basic tips how to improve my rooms acoustics. Mainly how and where I should place the panels.

And if I were to plant these sound-absorbing panels in my rooms wall, would it be worth trying to improve the sound with just some DIY stuff, like old carpetry, or should I just go and buy a little piece of this material to go with?

Aight, thats about it.

Ps. Sorry if it's messy, tried to make myself clear and the speakers that I'm using, are Eve Audios SC204

Hi, I'm just finishing a Masters in Audio Acoustics- but I don't have much practical experience with this - except for my own studio and couple of other people's.

Without a purely rectangular room, it's nigh on impossible to predict room modes. However, you'll nearly always get loads more bass reverb in corners of rooms, and to combat this, you can use corner absorbers, or just place the panels diagonally in that corner (same difference).

It's a shame you can't turn your desk so it faces the long wall - the contents of the shelf behind him the disk will probably make good diffusers AND absorber - and the back wall is a very typical place to have these.

Also, people often put absorbers around their speakers, or even in the back of them. This includes absorption on the immediately surrounding walls and ceiling.

Last edited:
Try to put your table aside with the bed! You'll find better acoustics after you treat those corners and having some broadband panels behind the desk and monitors as on the side walls! Back wall should have some broadband panels and corners treated!

the most important thing is "basotect" - it absorbs low frequencies, which can mess up your mix! often you dont need high and mid frequency absorber in your home studio, because the room has enough things on which the audio waves in the highs can breake (for example a shelf) - but if not, you can also use diffusor. just google "diffusor" :)

View attachment 44316
So the picture above is a sketch of my room(~16m^2), describing the fundamental elements of it. And yet you might have already guessed, it's not being treated in any way to make it's acoustics better, which is the main reason that I'm here.
So, as you see, my setup at the moment is not that good, due to the fact that my left speaker is way further from the wall than my right speaker. And at this point I'd like to notice you that rearranging my room can't be done, because there are several more doors, piano and built-in closets that I need to be capable of using.

So, what I'm asking, is just few basic tips how to improve my rooms acoustics. Mainly how and where I should place the panels.

And if I were to plant these sound-absorbing panels in my rooms wall, would it be worth trying to improve the sound with just some DIY stuff, like old carpetry, or should I just go and buy a little piece of this material to go with?

Aight, thats about it.

Ps. Sorry if it's messy, tried to make myself clear and the speakers that I'm using, are Eve Audios SC204

Hi Jay

If you want to drop me a PM be happy to go through this with you. Far too much to cover just here. Right from set up to Diffusion etc but I would highly recommend spending some time looking up some education pages on the internet so that you can get to grip with some of the basics to get you started.

There is a lot to go into for just a short forum post so if you want to find out more about it in great depth, you will have to do a bit of talking privately to people.

My first observation of the diagram was a lot of corners, so the quick bit of advice I will share, left untreated, those corners are going to trap your lower frequencies which will have a horrible impact on your mix. Hopefully this well help.

Oh dear, after a little more observation I can see that a lot of people have given advice similar. Regardless, best of luck with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jay

If you want to drop me a PM be happy to go through this with you. Far too much to cover just here. Right from set up to Diffusion etc but I would highly recommend spending some time looking up some education pages on the internet so that you can get to grip with some of the basics to get you started.

I can personally vouch for GIK products… I have literally around 100 of their panels up in my studio. Most well constructed pre-fab panels I have personally used.

Back