Feedback/Suggestions on Studio Acoustic Treament Idea

Def Note

Hey Guys! I'm want to start mixing in my very small studio apartment and need help with my idea to acoustically treat it. I don't want to mount anything on the walls because I will get in trouble with the manager. I plan on placing everything on stands and surrounding my area with that. Will that work?
I have attached an amateurish picture of my idea and a photo of how the current area looks. Any suggestions?

I plan on buying the following items:

New Smaller Desk:
Computer Desk Office Home Furniture Corner Table Laptop Workstation Study Studio | eBay

Monitor Stands:
On Stage SMS6000 Studio Monitor Stands Pair 3 PT Triangle Base 90lb Capacity | eBay

And Surround myself with:
Acoustic Panels Bass Traps Size 6ft x 2ft x 4inches 24" x 72" x 4" | eBay

and:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Studio%20Idea.jpgphoto (1).JPG

in your space the proposed treatment would be useless in the positions you want to put them

situations like this the best bet is to relocate everything so the mix station is midway along the short wall.

I would also consider two bookcases halfway along each of the long walls to reduce flutter echo and provide some measure of first reflections treatment

However, because you have so much furniture to begin with, moving stuff around may not work to let you do everything you want in this space

Agree ^

Get your mixing position away from that corner, you have a descent room if you treat it properly.

DO NOT rely on bookshelves for anything, they have been proven ineffective, do it right and buy/build some diffusers (for behind you) and build some broad band panels for your first reflection points, then maybe add some clouds later and make some corner traps.

Last edited:
can you give me some solid literature (i.e. AES or similar articles/conference presentations) about not using bookcases?

if stocked correctly they are better than single diffusers as they actually have lumps and bulges causing them to have a very large bandwidth

Back