... Fears of touching my gear

BakwurdzTNuoC

Lately I've been getting shocked a lot. Right by the volume knob on my mixer is a screw, and when I touch it ... CRACK!!
I can hear the pop on my monitors. And this has been going on a lot lately, to the point where I'm always conscious of getting shocked. From my keyboard, drum machine, mixer, ... even by the screw in my bathroom that's right by the lightswitch.. lol

Then I started thinking maybe I'm getting shocked because I THINK I'm gonna get shocked. It's only been happening recently, but the problem comes and goes. So I start touching the GROUND on the back of my scratch mixer, but to no avail. So now I had to get Google involved. I had an idea what the issue was, but I learned a lot more.

I just wanted to share this, if anyone else had the problem.
Check it out: http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/staticcont.htm

lol.. I'm still working on that, just read the article today.

The factors were dry skin, so now I always put lotion on.
The soles on your shoes rub against the carpet producing more static.
Use your key to touch a grounded object to get grounded while not getting shocked.
Lately been getting hot in Cali, so that's a factor.

And with my headphones on in a certain chair, rolling around on the carpet produces clicks and clacks in the headphones.

you could get an "anti-static mat"

AS4.JPG

The shocking deal is a pretty bad thing that can damager your gear, specially computer chips. just get one of those anti-static wristbands at an electronics store. That's all you should need.

And no, thinking you're going to get shocked is not what is causing it.

Back