Experience and Knoledge of acoustics Survey!

did it

just wondering about your questions and your focus how do you expect to gain meaningful data from this

some things missing

I've been doing this for 37 years but I will still end up in the 3+ years category - you need more granularity in time involved in production unless you are specifically targeting/expecting to get different results from those who have under 3 years in from those with more than three years

you are also missing gender data and age data

- to what extent do female producers differ in their attitudes to male producers is always an interesting research question

- to what extent do young producers (<20) differ from 20-29 and 30-39 and in what ways do both of these groups differ from 40+

-- both age and gender can impact on the willingness to spend more money and to engage in treating the production space

Last edited:
Yep, also did it & wondered about the "3+ years" thing - imo three years is still barely stepping out of the "complete newbie" category.

Thanks for the feedback and your time to complete the survey!

Its a very small research project, and yes I didnt think of that about the genders and age. When it comes to the years of experience you are right, the granularity is small, but Im kinda focusing on the as it normally takes about 2-3 years to realize how important acoustics can be when mixing in "home studios". So, Im trying to find out the relationship between how much people are willing to spend to years of experience. As my theory is that with more years of experience and knowledge youd be willing to spend more on this subject.

I too had some problems with the survey.
Acoustic treatment doesn't necessarly cost anything. Yes a "proper" studio with lots of experience will lead to probably one day invest in treatment. But mattresses from family, blankets couches, wood from hardware stores. There is many many ways to get "acoustic treatment" without paying for "acoustic treatment". many would argue you have to buy legitimate stuff. But with such a small experience bracket it's ridicolous. I have been producing for just 3+ years, I am in no way the same experience as the other two who posted before me. But we are in the same "bracket" and my studio is filled with experiemental acoustic treatment such as mattresses, hammocks, clothes hangars and jackets. It's weird but it sounds amazing and is the best I have ever built!

I don't think that most people are looking into acoustic treatment by only 3yrs. The first couple years is spent buying the essential gear. The following year is spent learning and upgrading your current gear.

Then you start to realize that something is still missing. You've got the best mic you could afford, a million VSTs and the newest midi controllers. Even with all of that, you still don't sound as good as your favorite producer/artist.

You ask a million questions about what you are missing gear wise, the newest plug-in, the best speakers. . . .then from research you realize that all the pro's have one thing in common. Not the DAW, Drum Machine, Mic, Speakers, PreAmp, VSTs ----- the only thing that is almost guaranteed to be the same - is room treatment.

Then you begin looking at options.
Foam is cheap, blankets are too. What are blankets and foam used for?
can you hang and glue things to the wall?
If im only recording and not mixing, what do I need and how much?
What's the difference between foam and fiberglass panels?
Why do they cost more? Foam looks cool and is in all the YouTube videos, but is that really what pro's use?

The list goes on and on but now you're at least convinced to do something and start aiming at less gear, more knowledge and better sound.

All of that doesn't happen in just 3 years.

Back