Everything a Studio Should Have

zZzwalkr

What is everything a home studio should have? I'm trying to make a list of everything I'm gonna need along the line for my home studio.

I would suggest a good computer (the fastest CPU, most RAM and Hard drive space you can afford the better), a DAW such as Reason, live, or Pro Tools, a midi audio interface such as mbox or maudio, and a midi keyboard (or live controller or mashine interface), at the very least a set of good headphones, a mic if you want to rap or sing. I would say that is a minimum.

I have a pair of Yamaha HS7, since I have a small studio and the HS8 are too big.
But if you produce dance music, go for the KRKs

A computer, an audio interface, monitors (or headphones if you can't afford them), a mic (if you are recording something) or a midi keyboard (if you're an electronic producer), and your favorite DAW ;)

MAC, about 4 external hard drives to store your sounds, Focusrite sound interface, midi controller, good monitors and a midi keyboard. Depending on your DAW, you can buy Maschine which comes with its own MIDI controller (MPC form) or you can just buy a MPD18, which is a MPC style midi controller...

I started couple years ago and only used my macbook and bose headphones (that I already owned). After that, as you progress you'll start hearing sounds very distinctly and thats when you wanna get the big guns...monitors, midi controllers, and such.
3 years in I now own 2 Yamaha HS8s, a NI audio interface (obviously), a DDJ Sx, mic, and an AKAI249 keyboard. Next, I want a Subpac and a MPC3000.
So, depending on your budget and experience, you will have to make your own list.
I say, whatever computer you own, get a DAW you would like to use by getting the trial versions first. I have Ableton Live, people like FL studio, etc. And if you down own headphones already get your hands on some Sennheisers. Then, you may start needing to get some plugins. And then the rest.
Have that helps.
Cheers!

Don't get caught up in all the latest and greatest. What I mean by that is every year you'll be bombarded with new gear guaranteed to take you somewhere. But, hard work dededication talent and luck are essentials that you can't buy. A solid DAW a good audio interface midi keyboard and some monitors are pretty much all you need. Don't go broke trying to keep up with industry pro's because all you will do is get frustrated and well broke. I've never had some one who doesn't make make music say "hey how about pulling out some 6k in your leads you need to treat your room"

Back