Ear level

shoduction

Whats good yall, I just got my first pair of monitors (KRK RP5!). I'm excited, but i need to figure out where to put them. I've heard they're supposed to be at ear level 2-3 feet away. when one says ear level, does that mean that the bottom of the speaker should be even with the ear or the center of the speaker or the top of the speaker? Or am i just splitting hairs here?

thanks in advance...

is you room treated?

lay them on their side so both tweater and sub are horizontal

put a towel inbetween the monitors and their stands

yea lay them sides so both the sub and the tweater are at the same level. if you dont do that , then you'll have to tilt the monitors so that both the sub and tweater are directing the sound to your ears

djba$$ay2k5 said:
is you room treated?

lay them on their side so both tweater and sub are horizontal

put a towel inbetween the monitors and their stands

make sure the manufacture says it's ok to do so......should say in your manual.

Most monitors are specifically designed to NOT lay on their sides. *ESPECIALLY* active monitors. Do NOT lay them on their sides unless it's specifically suggested in the manual. Most (even active units) *can* be inverted completely (pretty normal in surround rigs).

Anyway - You generally want the lower edge of the tweeter around ear level.

You want your head to be .38 of the long wall from the short wall. You want the speakers to be far enough away *from* the short wall as to not build up too much low end. Figure you want at least a foot. At least.

SO - a 15' x 11' (just as an example) room: .38 of 15 is 5.7' That's where your head goes. You want the speakers at least a foot from the wall, plus the cabinets. That'll put them around 3.5 feet from the mix position. 3.5' apart and you have your equilateral triangle.

Have them intersect maybe a yard or more (or a lot more, as I'll explain) past your head. I generally shoot for around the 1/4 mark of the rear wall. In the example case, you want to draw a line from the right tweeter to the right 1/4 mark on the 11' rear wall - Around 2.75' from the right wall.

Of course, the room is going to play a big role in all of this. In the "example" room, the rear wall would have to be VERY absorbent across the spectrum from the very low end (bass traps in the corners) all the way up to the upper mids.

djba$$ay2k5 said:
yea lay them sides so both the sub and the tweater are at the same level. if you dont do that , then you'll have to tilt the monitors so that both the sub and tweater are directing the sound to your ears

Do not lay them on there sides that is not how they are supposed to be and especially if they are KRK's. Yamaha NS-10's nearfields were made to be on there sides cause of the way they constructed them but KRK's are not supposed to be on there sides. On top of that you can ruin your subs by doing that.

Back