Does anybody else have an area rug on their wall for soundproofing?

SpiffyAvacados

Emcee/Producer
Sup guys, I'm a frequenter of Reddits version of this site and saw someone on there carpeted his walls instead of buying expensive foam made to soundproof. I made an opportune decision to buy a 9x10 area rug and put it on my speaker-facing wall and it works reasonably well for what I can tell. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have something similar done or have any information on why this might be a horrible way to treat a room.

It doesn't hurt & certainly damps the high frequencies - it's actually sort of similar to what acoustic foam does. The problem is that neither does practically anything about the low end, which is what usually causes the biggest problems. Still, better than nothing.

Btw, soundproofing is a different thing (isolating a space so sound doesn't get out) - this is acoustic treatment.

Last edited:
Sup guys, I'm a frequenter of Reddits version of this site and saw someone on there carpeted his walls instead of buying expensive foam made to soundproof. I made an opportune decision to buy a 9x10 area rug and put it on my speaker-facing wall and it works reasonably well for what I can tell. Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you have something similar done or have any information on why this might be a horrible way to treat a room.

Sound absoroption/diffusion material depth directly affects the frequency it absorbs, the thicker the material the lower frequency it will absorb. Carpet, although will absorb some high material, it will be rather inefficient in the larger picture because it absorbs practically nothing in the full spectrum, However the ideal use of material is not pressed up against a wall instead it traps it between the wall and the material.

If you are able to hang the carpet a few inches in front of the wall it will not just absorb a tiny margin of high freq. it will trap more frequencies from bouncing back after they go through the carpet. Distance from wall to carpet will affect what frequencies it catches

Wapiti is right. Although it also depends if the carpet has that rubber backing on it. You can also put some carpet in front of the corners of your room to create a limp mass bass trap. Since low frequencies collect in corners this will help burn them out.

this is like a return to the "good" old days of acoustic treatment "let's put carpet on the walls" it does exactly what krushing says damps high freqs and not much more

won't do much for diffusion (causing the wave fronts to break up and scatter in many different directions)

an air gap is always useful (as wapiti and cdverson note) even more useful is rockwool/dacron/other fibre source in that air gap - the transition from the five/six states of free-air - carpet - free-air - other fibre - (free-air -) wall surface will do a lot to absorb the frequency range that this type of large slot resonator can do

I live in a garage converted room and have an area rug on the wall facing the speakers. At high volumes, I can easily tell the difference from when the rug is on and off.

Back