Do I need bass traps with 5 inch monitors?

Kamran

Hi
My room measurment is 3 meter * 4 meter * 2.85 (height)

I have a pair of 5 inches monitors (small cones)
And I dont have any sub woofer

I've already purchased some foam for high frequency absorbtion, do I need bass traps too?
And how much? All corners?

I should say I feel bass in the corners
If I absorb that bass energy should I add sub woofer then?

Some one on youtube video said if you dont have Sub woofer adding bass trap worsen the problem

Thanks

Last edited:
Some one on youtube video said if you dont have Sub woofer adding bass trap worsen the problem

This is exactly the kind of bullshit you get when you don't understand what you're preaching about... :)

No, bass traps aren't going to hurt your sound – of course if your ears are already used to the excess bass caused by the buildup in the corners and standing waves and whatnot, then it probably sounds like the traps are "worsening" the sound, by taking away that excess (and thus leading into less perceived bass) and giving you a flatter frequency response. In other words, without the traps you are hearing more bass than there actually should be.

Not sure what to tell ya, as I lack both a sub and foam and spent that on headphones years back to go with Ppresonus monitors but I'll say not necessarily a bad addition.

3 by 4 is quite small. Depends a bit on what you got in the room on how the sound is gonna reflect.
Basically, it'll all come down to learning your speakers, training your ears, getting used to the room, referencing vs different setups like car stereo, hifi stereo, studio, etc. Learn the differences. You gotta know where your system sits compared to a general flat response (which , to confuse you, doesn't really exist :P). But you gotta know how stuff sounds on other systems if it sounds a certain way on your system.
Acoustic treatment will almost always help.
Check https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=studio+rescue
and
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=studio+rescue+bass+trap

I'd just start with what you got, play music and own tracks on your system, listen to it in your sweet spot, compare it on different systems. Then, see if you think there is a problem with build up or reflection. Then think if it's worth it to experiment with acoustic treatment.
Adding a subwoofer is gonna bring a lot of tweaking and problems.
What 5 inch monitors do you have?

Nice. got a music bullet hooked up to a focusrite and presonus monitors to my main interface and will never get bass traps or acoustic foam myself :P

Back