cooling vocal booth fan recomendations?

C

chalin111

hey all,

i have a vocal booth, and it already has a fan installed, but it needs another one. it's just too damn hot in there. problem is, as u all know, the mic is in there, so i need a fan that will produce no noise, but still put a nice cooling breeze at me.

if anyone is experienced with this sort of thing, please drop some brand recommendations of some mini-fans that plug in that are no-noise...if these exist...

thanks..

chal7ds

hmm..it doesn't say on there how they're powered. plug into the wall socket like normal ya think?

also..they look almost too small to make any difference..course..i don't know how powerful they are...

hmm..maybe try calling the customer support guy in the morning..

thanks..

I would put a duct into the vocal booth and run a portable AC into it if you can afford it. The duct would have to be insulated on the inside to keep it quiet. There are a number of them in some of the studios on johnlsayers.com . You want fresh air into the booth as opposed to just moving around hot air.

Last edited:
chalin111 said:
i need a fan that will produce no noise, but still put a nice cooling breeze at me.
It's the breeze that's going to be the problem - Air moving against a diaphragm is going to make *huge* noise.

Cut in a few vents nearly at floor level - Towards the "quiet" areas of the outer room.

In the top, install an eight-inch return vent. Run maybe 12-20 feet of insulated flexible duct from that return and use a duct fan to draw the hot air out and the cool air will fill the booth from the bottom - only causing a breeze near the floor, where it won't be heard by the diaphragm.

Don't run the duct straight - Put some curves in it - That will keep the sound of the fan itself to a minimum.

www.atlantasupply.com - Search for DBF08 8" Duct Booster Fan. I'm assuming it's not too hard to find at a Home Depot or something similar either...

what the?! so i gotta buy a saw right? to saw into my booth? to make the holes for this fan? what kinda saw do i buy that will do this? is there a detailed description of the step by step on this somewhere on the internet? i don't want to ruin the acoustics of my booth being unexperienced as a booth installer/construction guy...

What is the size and construction characteristics of the booth? Maybe we can maximize the potential here...

i have one of these

http://www.soundsuckers.com/4x4.htm#4x4

it's 4 X 4. as you can see, it already came with a fan system, but it really sucks. i can barely feel anything. that's why, i am thinking..i don't really want to go to the trouble of cutting holes and all of that unless it's going to be AC and it's sure 100% to cool that interior...

They have a pre-built ventilation system that's more or less exactly what I'm suggesting (although my suggestion would supply 8x the airflow).

Ported vents in the bottom, exhaust on the top, you'll be styling. I'd add a rheostat to the vent fan if you were to use something like the one I linked to though - That's a 500CFM fan. If theirs is only 60, you might need something to tune it down a bit (a lot). Having the rheostat *inside* the booth (I've seem them built into extension-cord like systems that would be perfect) the talent could turn it higher between takes for more air, down (or even off) during takes for less noise.

Back