Connecting studio speakers to a laptop

vikz44

Hi,

I was wandering how I would go about doing this? Am i correct in thinking if i had studio speakers such as the KRK Rokit, I have to connect them to a Audio interface first such as the (m-audio fast track) and then into the laptop?

What would be the difference if i connected the KRK straight to the laptop through the headphone jack?

Don't connect your monitors to your headphone jack as the sound quality will suffer. The right way to do things regarding your monitors and interface is not from laptop to headphone jack.

there is a headphone plug to rca adapter. from there hook up to an amp and connect speakers off of amp. I know radio shack and other business offer a small compact amps with a nice kick

Am i correct in thinking if i had studio speakers such as the KRK Rokit, I have to connect them to a Audio interface first such as the (m-audio fast track) and then into the laptop?

What would be the difference if i connected the KRK straight to the laptop through the headphone jack?

Correct, audio interface is the way to go. Even a cheap one will give you more clarity and headroom than the laptop's headphone jack. You just hook up your interface to your laptop via USB, and then your KRK Rokits to your interface. M-Audio Fast Track is good, my first interface was a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and it was great. Mackie Onyx Blackjack is a solid choice too. All around the $100 mark brand new, but you could look on ebay I'm sure people sell those all the time for 3/4 of the new price (or less) when they're ready to upgrade :)

I would just buy an audio interface. You're going to end up needing it eventually for other things anyways (headphones, mics, MIDI, etc.).

Actually. I had an old amp lying around and hooked it up with headphone to rca plugs, plugged into my amp as line in or cd in. crass but works. I have a set of krok krokit speakers, on of the first, great on bass and still kicking after 20 years.

Back