Can someone revise my setup please?

Gaurav Par

Im about to record vocals and i have these three things.

I have a neuman u87 condenser going into an "API 3124 PLUS Pre Amp" going into a "roland OCTA-CAPTURE interface" going into my computer. but the thing is that the roland also has a pre amp in it. is it okay if i use the API and the Roland cause then there will be two pre amps. Is this okay? Also they both have phantom power, if i have two things with phantom power, would it break my mic?? Thanks so much for your help!!! Also is this an okay set up to record vocals? Or would they turn out bad? thanks!! im really new to this.

In theory sending phantom to a microphone from two sources is bad news. In practice some mics will take it some will not. I wouldn't test the u87 on it.

There should be a "line in" on your interface. you will want to run the output of the API into the "line in" section of the roland.

If you can't get a good vocal sound with the 87 and api its not the gears fault.

Check out some vocal recording techniques on the web.

Best,

The phantom thing is simple - just turn it off the from the Octa-Capture. As for the double pre thing, it's true that you can't really bypass the preamps on the OC, but the line-level inputs at no additional gain shouldn't really impart any "color" from the OC's pres.

Back