best headphones that dont leak

D

Deal

and sound good for producing, pre mixing, etc- not what you have heard, but actually tried

Good question. I would like to know which headphones don't leak too. Some that give a flat response, don't leak, and are cheap. LOL, that would be awesome.

idont know if there good for making beats or mixing, but the bose ones that cancel all out side sound are amazing

Do they leak though? That's what I'm concerned with. I'm about to put in 2 vocal booths, and I don't want the mics picking up the sound from the headphones.

PtheGhost said:
idont know if there good for making beats or mixing, but the bose ones that cancel all out side sound are amazing

Actually he means the contrary.

By "leak" he means leak sound from the headphones to the outside (ie to a microphone when a singer is listening to them and recording vocal parts)

Yeah, mano 1 is correct. I'm looking for some headphones I can have people wear in a vocal booth and listen to the beat through them while recording vocals. But I don't want the mic picking up the music from the headphones.

Hey all,

I have been using 'Studio Kanz' headphones for about two years and really like them.

They cost me 100 bucks.. whats great is the earmuffs are PVC, air filled, and totally tight. I record drums, vocals, etc and have never been able to hear bleed even at high SPL's. Also, they have a detachable cord, so if you need to feed a 30 ft cable you can do that without buying expensive adapters or new cans.

Anyone with a booth or separate drum room will appreciate this.

Also, they feature a volume knob on the L can.

There is another version avalable called 'Metrophones'. Same air-friggin-tight design, just with a built in metrophone, for about 15 bucks more. Great tool for drummers. Does double duty in the studio, too.

Stay away from headphones from Best Buy or the department store. Usually they are tuned to accentuate low and high digital frequencies and will not be all that useful for monitoring. Really the only difference is that after an hour of monitoring, your ears really get tired from all the boom-boom shaky-shaky...

Even though it might not sound quite as good, A pair of Beyer (nice reference earlier, bro) or StudioKANZ will be nice and f-l-a-t yeilding an easier monitoring experience.

Love peace and hairgrease

Aaron

You need 'closed back' headphones.

beyer make some decent ones. If it's just for a booth then Beyer DT250s or 770s will suffice.

Sorry maybe you misunderstood me...

The StudioKANZ, Metrophones and Beyer cans are ALL closed back, the advantage with the StudioKANZ is that the sealed cups are PVC plastic, and filled with air. They are very comfy and get the job done.

all headphones will leak into the mic if you have them up to loud, I think the problem is that people are used to riding subways blasting music out of their ears, but you can't do that in a vocal booth with the mic right in front of you, you just have to re-train your ears to be able to hear at normal levels again

yeah thats true..

ever try that for a week - listen to your car radio on 2 or 3 max.. you start to appreciate more detail and re-realize your natural sensitivity.

I never had that problem
the way I was raised, I never listened to loud music, atleast not in no headphones, that's just being... *edit* I had a word in there but I decided to remove it

Last edited:
I always use Sony MDR 7506's or 7509's. Not too concerned about headphone leakage, worked with many platinum artists and none of them were either. Most acapellas i hear have some leakage on them.

hokus208 said:
I always use Sony MDR 7506's or 7509's. Not too concerned about headphone leakage, worked with many platinum artists and none of them were either. Most acapellas i hear have some leakage on them.

I smell bullsh*t...

^^ Maybe so, but ole boy said "most acapellas" he hears.... THAT is bullsh*t.

To be real, it all depends on the volume level of the headphones. Rappers tend to have the volume loud, and the moniror vocals low (which causes the leakage), as to with certian R&B, the instrumentals are low with a high monitor. And to be honest, I've never seen a set of Sony's at any major recording studio, out of all of my studio experience, myself and everyone else uses the AKG K240's. If there was ever a such things as an industry standard for headphones, they would be the ones if any.

Back