Bedroom producer to studio producer

adge2013

I've been making music for about 6 years, but they were always just instrumentals.
In the last 2 years I've started to make full songs, writing lyrics and finding singers.

When it came down to recording the voice I found a studio to use, but I realised....I don't have a clue what to do in there!

The few times i've been in the studio with singers, there's always been an engineer there who already has the equipment set up and takes control of the recording.

My question is... is there anything I can be doing/watching/reading to help prepare me for more time in the studio?

I mean my goal is to make money from this and to go on to produce in studios, possibly my own home studio but I can't find anything on the internet (weirdly) which explains the studio set up from scratch.

There must be others in the same position, any advice?
I felt pretty stupid saying to the engineers that I didn't know what to do in the studio...!

I don't think there's anything wrong admitting that you've never worked in the studio - better that way than wasting everyone's time fiddling about without a clue. You can of course look up what the particular studio uses and try to at least get a visual grasp of how things work (like learning how their console is laid out, how the routing works etc.) but of course the real learning will only happen when you're actually there.

Are you solely a producer or a producer and an artist? If you want to produce eventually in your own home studio, use commercial studios as a learning experience via observing what pros do. Be mindful that many commercial studios are closing.

I'm the producer and occasional songwriter.
I guess it just felt strange to be the producer of the songs, but yet not be the one pushing the buttons.
I suppose it's a case of practise and being in that environment.
I wish it was cheaper to rent a studio and hang out there with other producers and artists...that's how magic is made!

If it's any help, the "traditional" music producer rarely "pushes buttons", he/she is more like a creative director that has the vision and brings together the people and assets to make it happen. This is a generalization of course, and there's many a producer actively involved in the engineering side of things. Just pointing out that it doesn't *have* to be that way.

Read up on anything you can get your hands under the subject Audio Engineering, you'll learn everything from the ground up on how to build a studio as well as production techniques.

I had a similar conversation with a good friend of mine that wants to become an audio engineer.

Firstly, I know where you're are at the moment. You walk into a studio and there's a knowledge barrier preventing you from seeing what everything actually is. I've been there years ago in my own endeavors.

One thing right off the bat in response to "I can't find anything on the internet"... it's not true.

Don't put obstacles in your way that don't exist.

One potential way to get your foot in the door and learn simultaneously is to offer free work.

You already know how to produce music, so the next natural step is to learn as you go at a studio.

Make a list of local studios in the area, make a playlist of your best music on soundcloud, and shoot them an email with a reference to your work.

Cold call each and every studio to make a connection. Physically walk into the studio, and approach the staff to put a face to your name.

Eventually, someone will need help, and when they do they will call you.

From there, it's on you to prove yourself.

I reckon there's a high percentage of studio producers that regularly (if not always) use an engineer.
The key is to be able to effectively communicate with that engineer (and musicians) in order to obtain the sound (and performance) you're after.

Thank you all for the recommendations..some good advice here!
Has made me feel a little more confident about the whole thing as well.

Everyone starts without knowledge you just have to be willing to put in the time to learn, just use google, youtube or just get a plain ol' book - Bob Katz: Mastering Audio, The Art & The Science (This book will teach you everything you need to know)

Back