Basement studio placement is really bad.. Would this help?

ATLAS_

There are 5 of us living in a 3 bedroom house, so being the youngest kid, I don't have a room to myself.
I sleep in the basement, which is cool and all because I practically own the basement now, but my desk is in a really awkward spot. The basement isn't huge, but it's not like I have a room I can move the studio to, so the acoustics are terrible. There's shit on the walls that my parents keep hung up, so there isn't really any room to put up as much studio foam as I would need to actually make the sound decent.
Recording isn't too bad with a microphone isolater/reflection filter, but doesn't really help with when it comes time to mix a track.
I could buy studio headphones and mix that way, but I prefer to work with my studio monitors.
Another thing is that my dad is a hoarder, so it's kind of a pain in the ass to be in the zone mixing a new track or even to write lyrics when there are piles of random shit everywhere. I don't know about you guys, but I always get writer's block in a messy environment.

Hopefully soon I can find a good way to improve my studio placement. I'm hoping to move the desk to a corner of the basement and set up some foam where I can on the walls.

What I want to know is would that be ideal for better acoustics? There's still all the room in the basement, but I just want to be able to get a better sound for when I'm producing. Again, that would be moving the desk to the corner of a rectangular basement and setting up foam around the 2 corner walls. If anybody can give me some input, that would be great:)

floor plan? dimensions?

as for the hoarding - clean the piles rather than just leave them there all haphazard - it may be a fight not worth having though

Back