Is an audio interface absolutely necessary?

J2producing

J2 Productions
Right now I am mixing off headphones and I want to buy some monitors (M-Audio Studiophile) but I don't have enough money to buy a audio interface as well.

Your motherboards built in soundcard most likely will not have the required outputs to connect to your monitors. Therefore yes you will one if you buy monitors.

yeah if u want too connect your monitors and control the volume and its essiential for mixing headphones as reference and monitors to bypass back and forth , plus have a 48v phantom powed condenser mic youll be set if u dont want the mic scratch it '

Last edited:
Onboard soundcards get soo many distractions, hums etc frm inside a computer. and fundamentally they are just too small to handle any serious sound. a separate audio card gives you a big box to handle nothing but sound. and as said above, you will actually be able to plug your monitors in.

Yes i would say an interface is necessary, you can find plenty of interfeces for less than $100. Maudio fast track is a great cheap interface. an interfeace will also help your computer run smotthly cut down latency and allow for more intensive projects. Please get an interface you will not be dissapointed.

Technically no you don't need one, the interface is a Analog to Digital converter with pres and outs. Most low end monitors will take unbalanced RCA's but even then you need a new soundcard unless your stock one has RCA outs. The price of interfaces these days are very cheap.

Back