Anybody here produce with nothing but a computer and headphones?

JMolter

Just curious to see how many of you produce without any of the fancy equipment. When I'm away at college like I am now I only use my computer and my Audio-Technica ATH-M50X headphones because I don't have room to put my other equipment like my mic and interface.

I'm actually in the same situation. But I did research before getting my headphones. I got the AKG K712. Heard some engineers saying they are the closest to studio monitor sound but still... I can't tell that we are doing the right thing. That's why I'm willing to spend a lot on good monitors now. Don't forget that headphones don't give you true free hearing sound of natural reverb, air resistance and other parameters. Sound effects in headphones are a lot more precise than speaker sound. That's why you have to mix and master, then listen on at least 2 pairs of speakers and 2 headphones of different qualities. You can still create with only headphones and touch up later with monitors.. Unless you pay someone to do it....

I have no choice 30% of the time...on the high speed rails or in the sky. I have the ATH-50, but I replaced them with the JBL Syncros S700 because the bass driver is 10mm bigger and the body is steel. That means solid 808s with no plastic rumbling or distortion. I was just explaining in another thread that the perceivable sound translates well to their LSR308 monitors.

There enough great software technology to replace 95% of outboard gear. A good mic and ADC/interface are in that other 5%. If you're not recording live vocals/instruments at the moment, this is no concern.

Forget: headphones only will never work. You need to have studio monitors otherwise you won't get the right frequency balance (esp. on the bass front).

When the kids are sleeping... Yes, that's how I often work on the sofa. With the addition of a 2i2 so I can sample my iPad or record a guitar.

But I do have a decent set-up in my attic lab - so nothing is ever finished without going through my nearfields

I personally do most of my producing on just a laptop/desktop and headphones!
my final mixes I always transfer to my monitors though

I just spent 2.5 months on the road producing a small instrumental EP on (Bose QC35) headphones (see sig). It's ok to do arrangements and composing on headphones but mixing or even creating synth patches is hardly possible. It just doesn't work because sound on headphones is very different.

Even using just small cheap speakers doesn't work (like KRK 5s).

I had to use various cheap speakers and "master" it when I finally came home.

Just learn the frequency response curve of your cans, and make sure you mix accordingly and there shouldn't be an issue. You should be testing your mixes on several systems anyway, so you shouldn't be relying solely on your headphones to not only mix, but to check the mix also.

Last edited:
Ive been mixing and mastering for about 5 years with very rare access to monitors and proper sound systems. What I found is best to do when you only have headphones is to have a few different sets. Your high quality studio headphones, maybe your Apple cell phone headphones, and then some cheap Walmart headphones or just your laptop speakers...Listen to your favorite tracks through all of these mediums, and then mix your music through them all and it will help you understand the frequency response of each sound system.

The first 3 years of audio production hobby yes.
Picked up mpd18/88key piano after 2013.
Some knobs and a second set of pads this year.
studio monitors that are 2 years old with some 2 year old headphones as well.

I'd recommend headphones at 50-100$ minimum because those seem to take a hell of an extreme use-case scenario before breaking or even damage period.

I used to use only laptop/headphones - but I could never get my final mix/mastered tracks to sound right: there were major out of balance issues to the point where some instruments were totally lost and others dominated, or the bass and bright issues were just awful. So I used some cheap KRK Rokit 5's for awhile along with my stereo keyboard amp - and while this was better, it was not good enough to give consistent and acceptable results when played on various media (mp3 player, auto/truck, living room stereo, computer speakers, on stage backing tracks, etc.). So last year I broke down and bought a pair of Yamaha HS8's and I've had no issues since. My mixed and mastered final tracks sound 100% better on all the media formats/systems. I also have an old set of Roland MA-8 stereo micro-monitors with 10cm/3cm woofers/tweeters which give a good representation of poorer quality and bass-deficient systems. If my mix sounds decent on the Yamahas and MA-8's, I've reached a 90% solution that my audience will enjoy. And if you're going to spend $500 or more on a good (not great) set of open-back headphones, why not go ahead and get the reference monitors for $700?

Last edited:
i use a laptop, and either speakers or headphones. i have a midi keyboard but i dont find it necessary. I personally like drawing in my notes as opposed to playing them

I produce on headphones until I get the main idea / composition done then do the final mixing on my studio monitors / subwoofer. Although, I rarely need to change much - I'm 99% there with my headphones. I listen to music almost exclusively on headphones so I know exactly what to expect and how to reference.

Yea it's called producing "in the box" when you just use a software studio, did it for the longest time... i think deadmau5 is another (when he was first starting out)

After time You can use only headphone or speakers as Your brains and ear will know most of the levels and panning automatically.
Its still better to fine tune with decent speakers and headphones tho.

I think you totally can produce with just headphones but the more environments you have available the better off you will be able to hear your sound.

A pair of good headphones is a good start, especially if you combine them with a your car, crappy laptop/iphone speakers, you can get pretty decent results by listening through those environments provided you know what you're doing

later down the line though you'll want to upgrade

I suggest getting a pair of decent monitors and some acoustical treatment for your room

lastly to make the most out of your bedroom/basement ( I'm guessing that's where you produce cuz that's where most people start) get a mix cube. Those things are expensive but once you get one your mixing will sky rocket and you won't ever perform an important mixing decision without them

cheers hope that shed you some insight!

I've never been a fan of MIDI keyboards... I have one at hand though but I rarely use it so 95% of the time it's just a computer and a pair of headphones.

Back