Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody here produce with nothing but a computer and headphones?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The first 3 years of audio production hobby yes.
    Picked up mpd18/88key piano after 2013.
    Some knobs and a second set of pads this year.
    studio monitors that are 2 years old with some 2 year old headphones as well.

I'd recommend headphones at 50-100$ minimum because those seem to take a hell of an extreme use-case scenario before breaking or even damage period.

Thanks
    I used to use only laptop/headphones - but I could never get my final mix/mastered tracks to sound right: there were major out of balance issues to the point where some instruments were totally lost and others dominated, or the bass and bright issues were just awful. So I used some cheap KRK Rokit 5's for awhile along with my stereo keyboard amp - and while this was better, it was not good enough to give consistent and acceptable results when played on various media (mp3 player, auto/truck, living room stereo, computer speakers, on stage backing tracks, etc.). So last year I broke down and bought a pair of Yamaha HS8's and I've had no issues since. My mixed and mastered final tracks sound 100% better on all the media formats/systems. I also have an old set of Roland MA-8 stereo micro-monitors with 10cm/3cm woofers/tweeters which give a good representation of poorer quality and bass-deficient systems. If my mix sounds decent on the Yamahas and MA-8's, I've reached a 90% solution that my audience will enjoy. And if you're going to spend $500 or more on a good (not great) set of open-back headphones, why not go ahead and get the reference monitors for $700?
    Last edited by JmgWeb; 12-31-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    i use a laptop, and either speakers or headphones. i have a midi keyboard but i dont find it necessary. I personally like drawing in my notes as opposed to playing them
    Rap/EDM Producer. My Soundcloud:
    https://Soundcloud.com/56john

Thanks
    Just a laptop and headphones here !

Thanks
    I produce on headphones until I get the main idea / composition done then do the final mixing on my studio monitors / subwoofer. Although, I rarely need to change much - I'm 99% there with my headphones. I listen to music almost exclusively on headphones so I know exactly what to expect and how to reference.
    Free audio hosting for producers and DJs - limited offer - contact me for details

Thanks
    Yea it's called producing "in the box" when you just use a software studio, did it for the longest time... i think deadmau5 is another (when he was first starting out)

Thanks
    this. plus trying ur mix on car speakers too

Thanks
    After time You can use only headphone or speakers as Your brains and ear will know most of the levels and panning automatically.
    Its still better to fine tune with decent speakers and headphones tho.
    Purple Six Recordz
    SoundCloud | YouTube

Thanks
    I think you totally can produce with just headphones but the more environments you have available the better off you will be able to hear your sound.

A pair of good headphones is a good start, especially if you combine them with a your car, crappy laptop/iphone speakers, you can get pretty decent results by listening through those environments provided you know what you're doing

later down the line though you'll want to upgrade

I suggest getting a pair of decent monitors and some acoustical treatment for your room

lastly to make the most out of your bedroom/basement ( I'm guessing that's where you produce cuz that's where most people start) get a mix cube. Those things are expensive but once you get one your mixing will sky rocket and you won't ever perform an important mixing decision without them

cheers hope that shed you some insight!

Thanks
    I've never been a fan of MIDI keyboards... I have one at hand though but I rarely use it so 95% of the time it's just a computer and a pair of headphones.

Thread Information