Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here produce with nothing but a computer and headphones?

Thanks

Anybody here produce with nothing but a computer and headphones?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just curious to see how many of you produce without any of the fancy equipment. When I'm away at college like I am now I only use my computer and my Audio-Technica ATH-M50X headphones because I don't have room to put my other equipment like my mic and interface.

Thanks
    I'm actually in the same situation. But I did research before getting my headphones. I got the AKG K712. Heard some engineers saying they are the closest to studio monitor sound but still... I can't tell that we are doing the right thing. That's why I'm willing to spend a lot on good monitors now. Don't forget that headphones don't give you true free hearing sound of natural reverb, air resistance and other parameters. Sound effects in headphones are a lot more precise than speaker sound. That's why you have to mix and master, then listen on at least 2 pairs of speakers and 2 headphones of different qualities. You can still create with only headphones and touch up later with monitors.. Unless you pay someone to do it....

Thanks
    I have no choice 30% of the time...on the high speed rails or in the sky. I have the ATH-50, but I replaced them with the JBL Syncros S700 because the bass driver is 10mm bigger and the body is steel. That means solid 808s with no plastic rumbling or distortion. I was just explaining in another thread that the perceivable sound translates well to their LSR308 monitors.

There enough great software technology to replace 95% of outboard gear. A good mic and ADC/interface are in that other 5%. If you're not recording live vocals/instruments at the moment, this is no concern.

Thanks
    me : c

Thanks
    Forget: headphones only will never work. You need to have studio monitors otherwise you won't get the right frequency balance (esp. on the bass front).

Thanks
    When the kids are sleeping... Yes, that's how I often work on the sofa. With the addition of a 2i2 so I can sample my iPad or record a guitar.

But I do have a decent set-up in my attic lab - so nothing is ever finished without going through my nearfields
    I'm all about that boombap.

Thanks
    I personally do most of my producing on just a laptop/desktop and headphones!
    my final mixes I always transfer to my monitors though

Thanks
    I just spent 2.5 months on the road producing a small instrumental EP on (Bose QC35) headphones (see sig). It's ok to do arrangements and composing on headphones but mixing or even creating synth patches is hardly possible. It just doesn't work because sound on headphones is very different.

Even using just small cheap speakers doesn't work (like KRK 5s).

I had to use various cheap speakers and "master" it when I finally came home.

Thanks
    Just learn the frequency response curve of your cans, and make sure you mix accordingly and there shouldn't be an issue. You should be testing your mixes on several systems anyway, so you shouldn't be relying solely on your headphones to not only mix, but to check the mix also.
    Last edited by balls of metal; 11-13-2016 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks
    Ive been mixing and mastering for about 5 years with very rare access to monitors and proper sound systems. What I found is best to do when you only have headphones is to have a few different sets. Your high quality studio headphones, maybe your Apple cell phone headphones, and then some cheap Walmart headphones or just your laptop speakers...Listen to your favorite tracks through all of these mediums, and then mix your music through them all and it will help you understand the frequency response of each sound system.
    Life is dice, Death is certain. - Thai Lanotics
    http://thailanoticsproductions.com

Thread Information