Affordable Studio Monitors?

Taylor Page

Hey,
I'm trying to set up a small bedroom studio and I need some good quality but budget studio monitors for a regular size bedroom.
Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?
All help is appreciated, cheers guys!

hi there

i think 5 inch monitors like krk rokit5 is something good for the bedroom, studio, these guys are loud enough to work with, and they also have a good bass,

however, you cant expect a 5 inch krk speaker to have deep bass like a 10 inch one, or subwoofer, it has a small box, it cant have too much deep bass

a subwoofer is the king of the bass,

but when you have experience you can also mix on headphones, because you know what you doing,
and even with no bass at all you have the spectrum, visual analysers that you are not extreme depended on monitors

i think a 5 inch pair of krk, with a krk sub would be extreme good for a bedroom, but you can also work without sub

if you have like a giant room maybe you need bigger speakers for more loudness without distortion, like 8 inch or maybe even 10 if room is too big , but small rooms can be filled good enough with a 5 inch pair

if you only make beats and mixing, you can use rca unbalanced cables
if you also want to record , it means you have to get an audio interface and you use that for speakers as well with balanced cables or xlr

Last edited:
It depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

If you're looking for more a low-end, "bass-friendly" monitor go with the KRK Rokit 5
If you're looking for an all-around good sound, go for the JBL LSR305s (I HAVE AND I RECCOMEND)

The Yamaha HS5s are good, but there isn't enough low-end on them.

I heard the Tannoy Reveal (I think that's the name, can't remember, too lazy to Google) were pretty good as well, but don't quote me on it because I haven't heard the sound for myself...

Besides the JBLs, the Equator Audio D5's/D8's have been getting a lot of positive reviews in the "affordable" category.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I went and bought the KRK Rokit 5, it seemed like the best option for me :) Hopefully they do well! Thanks again

Another +1 for the HS5 Yamaha. They sort of have a rolled off low end, but that helps with the lessening the room-boom which occurs with most monitors. I've found that these work best in rooms with little treatment.

You're better off getting a high quality set of headphones (Sennheiser HD 650)than a budget set of monitors. The cost is about the same but the sound quality will be far superior with the cans especially if you don't have any acoustic treatments in your room.

I tried the Yamaha HS-5's in store and can confirm the serious lack of bass extension.

i left the store with HS-7's which sounded (and still sound) phenomenal.

The Rokit 5's would've been my second choice though. Sounded really good to me.
Also the bass port is front mounted - which if you're forced to have them quite close to the rear wall could be a good thing.

I used to use Tannoy Reveals (old blue version) a lot in my first studio (shared space and equipment) and wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.
My mate has a pair of the passives (old red version) and switches between those and the Rokit-5's

I got the Audioengine A5+ pair for about $400 and they work well enough for me to get some solid mixes done. I do wish I would have gotten something with 7 or 10 inch subs though, it would have been well worth the extra cash.

what is affordable for you? Emes HR TV Black Studio Monitors are a little secret tip out there. better than Adam or Genelec but same price.

You're going to need to study this for awhile before you make an educated choice. You need to get a true read on how the speakers sound and feel, if possible. If not, you can always do something like buy from Amazon then return for an unspecified reason if you are not happy with the purchase.

I like the recommendations that only state general dimensions and not a specific brand. Each person will have a different preference, just like with food. Some tastes of the ear will be a disservice to the producer, without them realizing it. Most people recommend exactly what they bought themselves.

Back