Advice on setting up a home studio

moneynickels

Baxter Moneypenny
So I'm moving into a house (my junior year in college) and was wondering about some basic advice on how to set up my studio in order to get the best sound possible for mainly rap vocals. It's a simple rectangular shaped room with wood floors. I do have access to the University of Kentucky's recording studio, but I obviously can't use that day and night, so I'm wondering if there's any equipment that anyone suggests in order to help with the sound. I have an AT4040 microphone at the moment. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

I have not until now. Would you recommend this along with some sort of studio foam? I'm not looking to get too expensive but I also don't want to be cheap (I plan on slowly building it as I go along).

I have not until now. Would you recommend this along with some sort of studio foam? I'm not looking to get too expensive but I also don't want to be cheap (I plan on slowly building it as I go along).

Broadband absorbers (Bass Traps) go a LONG way. I built 8 myself for only $250 (I'm in a new city without tools so that added to the cost)

I used these:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound 3 in. x 15-1/4 in. x 47 in. Soundproofing Stone Wool Insulation (12-Roll)-RXSS31525 - The Home Depot

And this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8C4mcleE5U&index=2&list=PLzIOfhM0Z1CaHhY6NXQ6LIMHaaVoKBmkQ

And this Document:

http://www.readyacoustics.com/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf

I honestly don't feel that I need foam. The bass traps do all I need at the moment.

Last edited:
Once you use fiber based panels like OC703 or Rockwool there is absolutely no need for foam.

The only reason for foam would be if you couldn't get enough panels and still had areas you needed to cover. Just like Desmond A, I built mine (10 panels) 2ft x 4ft x 4in for around $325.

A foam kit will cost around $250 if it needs to cover the room, and you will NOT get the same effectiveness in performance.

If you don't believe me look at Auralex website and check the NCR rating. Then check Primeacoustic website and see what there's is.

Building your own gives you the performance of a manufactured panel, at a very good price. To order pre-built panels to cover the same room size and using the same depth as I have will run nearly $650.

I got my stuff through GIK Acoustics. But any company like Sound Away, Real Traps, Prime Acoustic, GIK, etc.....is fine

if the room is quite small for example 4x4 meters do not buy monitors with big woofers over 5 inches, try these with 3.5-4.5 inches and learn their sound...

Back