Is acoustical foam a rip off?

The molecular movement or speed creates friction and thus heat. Heat is an energy change, thus we have absorption or energy reduction.
Dennis

That's the one. I remember learning this and was like ohhhh, that makes sense now...

Cheaper foam might not be Open Cell, if it's not open cell it's a waste of time and still very reflective. Be careful when buying cheap foam you might be getting conned.

Why did I get rid of them? Health.

I've got fiber glass panels in my studio, corner bass traps and will be buying some foam soon too. There is a health concern out there but many debunk it. The main concern is the glue, what keeps the panel together. This glue can give off harmful VOC's in some brands (most) basically everything gives off VOC's that we aren't aware of. Normal studio foam can have them too, your carpets, especially paint. The actual fibers in these panels are 'Apparently' easily dispelled from your lungs, not like asbestos at all. As for these covers, they do nothing to prevent VOC release! So airing them off outside for a long time is recommended. Some of the pro panels, Like Real Traps possibly Gik etc are now saying they use super friendly slabs in their panels.

A lot of these guys are quite old and have worked in fiber studios all their lives, yet don't have lung problems so can it be that bad??? I'm not sure myself, it is worrying though. Possibly do a search on how many studio gods died of cancer at an early age.

Last edited:
A lot of these guys are quite old and have worked in fiber studios all their lives, yet don't have lung problems so can it be that bad???

How are you certain that they don't have lung problems? You don't have to die from a disease for it to affect your quality of life.
Just as you might not notice a gradual loss of high-pitched hearing, you also might not notice a gradual loss of lung capacity.

Anyway, it's something to consider.

I wasn't willing to take the risk, but you might decide that you feel that the risk is minimal and that the ends justify the means.
I just wanted to make sure that you (and everyone else reading this thread) is aware of some of the hidden potential drawbacks before making an informed decision.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Ive seen people use the thinner memory foam for beds, u can get it at walmart for pretty cheap. I heard it works pretty good too if your on a budget

Ive seen people use the thinner memory foam for beds, u can get it at walmart for pretty cheap. I heard it works pretty good too if your on a budget
This is not really a great suggestion. Non-acoustical foams are, first off, unpredictable in how they'll absorb and could do more harm than good, and they're not really comparable in how they absorb to acoustical foams. Secondly, they usually don't look great as they're meant to be concealed. Thirdly, they're usually not fire rated, and as such you're hanging a massive flammable sheet to your wall - which isn't really ideal. And of course foam isn't typically the best material to use anyways, as you'll be absorbing only high frequencies, leaving the low end untreated - which can cause imbalances between the low end and high end and could potentially end you up with a worse response than before. Decay times are an extremely important measure in rooms, and you want to be sure the treatment that you're using will even out the decay from low to high frequencies. More on decay times here: Understanding Decay Time and Waterfall Graphs - GIK Acoustics

This is not really a great suggestion. Non-acoustical foams are, first off, unpredictable in how they'll absorb and could do more harm than good, and they're not really comparable in how they absorb to acoustical foams. Secondly, they usually don't look great as they're meant to be concealed. Thirdly, they're usually not fire rated, and as such you're hanging a massive flammable sheet to your wall - which isn't really ideal. And of course foam isn't typically the best material to use anyways, as you'll be absorbing only high frequencies, leaving the low end untreated - which can cause imbalances between the low end and high end and could potentially end you up with a worse response than before. Decay times are an extremely important measure in rooms, and you want to be sure the treatment that you're using will even out the decay from low to high frequencies. More on decay times here: Understanding Decay Time and Waterfall Graphs - GIK Acoustics

Never used it before jus something someone else recomended to me but yea i agree the real stuff would probably be ur best bet but if ur on a budget it could b something to try, jus a suggestion

Surely there's somewhere you can buy a block of 80 ppi foam for quater of the price to cut yourself?

Have you ever priced out foam? it is not necessarily cheap.

and how are you going to cut it? With your industrial band saw? and your geometrical templates?

and that is assuming you find foam with the right acoustical properties. Not all 80ppi foam is created equal.

I personally use fiberboard which I frame and wrap in fabric for a nice neat appearance. Way cheaper with the same if not better sound qualities.

fiberboard? why not just save yourself some time and money and just tack some fabric on your wall like a poster.

Back