Acoustic Treatment Help

BeautyTheBeat

Aspiring female music producer here. I'm looking to turn my closet into a vocal booth but I'm not sure what kind of acoustic treatment to get. Any advice on materials and placement would be great. Preferably something that won't be overly expensive. P.S. I realize a closet vocal booth is not ideal but It's my only option at the moment.

Last edited:
size of the closet?

how is the vocalist going to hear the tracks to sing to?

how are you going to suspend your microphone? these two questions about how you intend to run cables into and out of the space

are you looking to deaden or isolate the closet space? The first requires absorptive and diffusive materials to placed on the interior surfaces of the closet, the latter requires you to build a space within the closet (most probably not an option, but worth mentioning nonetheless)

P.S. I realize a closet vocal booth is not ideal but It's my only option at the moment.

It is not your only option.

Your other option is to record the vocals right there in the room with you.

And that, by the way, is usually the BETTER option vs closet.

I have a large full featured studio at my daily disposal and I choose to 99.999% of the time to record people in the control room with me.

I honestly can't remember the last time I recorded vocals any other way.

Are you looking to deaden or isolate the closet space? The first requires absorptive and diffusive materials to placed on the interior surfaces of the closet, the latter requires you to build a space within the closet (most probably not an option, but worth mentioning nonetheless)

I have the wires all setup running through an interface so no trouble there. I also have a mic stand setup for the mic.

But what's the difference between deadening and isolating the interior?

I have a large full featured studio at my daily disposal and I choose to 99.999% of the time to record people in the control room with me.

So what kind of acoustic setup would be needed to make that effective and why is a closet said to be a bad idea?

i think we all did the closet thing at some point. that small of space usually gives you a more dead sound, to keep it as simple as possible. my advice is put the mic in the bigger room, usually farthest from the computer, use foam to control reflections and that should give you the best results for what you have to work with. once again, to keep it simple, you'll get a more alive sound recording in the bigger room. then again, you can always try both. depending on what sound you're trying to achieve, the closet can have some use.

as far as treatment, you can either go with a reflection filter for 100 bucks or you can go to foam factory dot com and get pretty good deals for 2" wedges to start with.

Back