2i2 output not working with jack cable, only with cinch

gepl

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I am sending my audio output to 2 M-Adio Studiophile AV40 speakers. I am using 2 cables for that: 2x 'jack male stereo - jack male stereo'. I had no problems with this setup.

Yesterday I moved my setup to another location with other speakers: unfortunately no audio came out of the speakers. I couldn't solve the problem on that location. When I arrived home I arranged my setup as before: I had also no sound over there. The headphone output was however still working...

When I replaced my 2 jack-male / jack-male -cables with one double line cable (2xjack male / 2 x cinch male), there WAS suddenly audio coming out of my speakers. So when I use the cinch input of my speakers there is sound.

What can be the reason for this problem? The 2i2? The cables? The drivers? ... Is there someone over here who could help me? Has this something to do with balanced / unbalanced audio transfer?
Personally I don't think the speakers are defect, because of I had the problem first with 2 other speakers.

I hope you understand my situation. Thanks!

As illustration:

I hear nothing when I insert two of these cables in my 2i2:
jack.jpg
I can hear audio when I use one these:
cinch.jpg

Hi Miles,

Thanks for your reaction! I didn't try 2 more balanced jack cables, because I only have two of them. I did switch them from left to right, but that didn't help... So yes, I swapped between a setup with 2 balanced jacks and a setup with a cinch cable...

Does this mean something? I bought these balanced jack cables a week ago... Is it possible that they are broke?

Back