Writing in between serious an fun?

3Stag

Hi, this is my first time writing a song really. I usually produce but I figured I would try writing as well and it is way harder than I imagined (basing my opinion off today's pop lol). Anyways, the song I'm making is a fun song or what you might call "party music". The problem I'm having though is I can't find the spot between serious and just plain fun. I don't want it sounding really stupid, I also don't want it sounding too serious. With a song like this how important are the lyrics? I think some songs have proven that no one pays attention to the lyrics, although others have shown that strong lyrics can be a backbone for the song.

I know I'm asking a pretty generic question but I don't know a better place to ask than here. Has anyone had experience writing this type of song?

Thanks!

Also I guess I could include a few more details.

The song is just about being positive, living life etc. Pretty generic stuff, I'm making it for someone and it's purpose is just that, to be generic party music lol

I find it so hard because I'm trying to avoid cliches. Also it isn't about me or my life or how I feel etc so it just seems that much harder. I don't want it to feel empty and "made", though maybe there isn't a way around that. Is party music doomed to be cliche? Does anyone have examples of genuinely good party music?

thanks again!

Personally, I say you should emulate the songwriting technique from guys like Deadmau5 and Tiesto. They definitely have the fun party song genre down.

I know that wasn't the advice you were looking for, but it's the best I can give considering my lyrical ability is almost nonexistent.

Last edited:
Cliches are fine for party music if you can put up with writing them. I don't think you need to focus on being in between serious and fun you should be taking a running jump at fun for that type of song. One important thing to remember is while people are partying they don't want to be reminded how to "live life positively" or be preached to. What type of atmosphere are you trying to create? Chill party or hyped? Chill parties are a little easier to write more in depth lyrics but if you're going for hyped then you really should avoid making people have to think about the lyrics because that would become annoying.

well what I like to do is imagine myself at a party, and write about all the things I would see there or how I would feel or what I would be doing, as long as your lyrics aren't horrible, and the beat is good, everyone should be happy

Coming from a band that makes EDM party music, I can say that the lyrics can be simple. If you're used to writing in a serious tone then this should be a break from that. If it get a little cliche that's fine!

Back