What is wordplay?

Wordplay is really what it is, you toy with the word. So, for example, since orange really wouldn't rhyme with anything, you'd say something along the lines of "I smashed that orange in between the middle of the door-hinge," so you're really adding your own twist on the words. It's pretty fun once you get used to it.

as said above and including the use double & triple entendres, your flow plays a big role on the word play as well.

Google search definition can do a better job at accurately describing it than me:
wordplayˈwəːdpleɪ/
noun: word-play

• the witty exploitation of the meanings and ambiguities of words, especially in puns.
    "so many of the jokes are based on wordplay"
    synonyms:punning, puns, double entendres, play on words; wit, witticisms, repartee;
    rareparonomasia

Last edited:
I've always thought of wordplay as a thing used alot by rappers. One example is Pharoahe Monch, on a track he raps 'Cause Monch is monarch only minus the A&R'. A creative wordplay between his last name and the word monarch, including a diss to the A&R's - (artist and repertoire), which is a role in the music industry.

Oh, and another example from the same Monch. On the track 'Agent Orange' he raps 'Pissed on the mothe****ing white house's lawn, I threw a rock and I ran'. Pronounced as 'I threw Iraq and Iran'.

Example:
Foreigner-Four in ya (you)
Basic-Bay sick

Study Eminem for more great examples.

Last edited:
It can also be using one word with two meanings two times or breaking down the letters inside a word to use the same word as a different word, sounds complicated i know but if done correctly it sounds very very nice, such as Capital Steez did in his song Apex: "Macho Man popeye did it, I know you looking down so pop-i-did-it"

Back