Tips for rappers

playa

I thought this would be quite a good topic for beginner up to advanced rappers, just to share tips on writing.

I have a couple, when your thinking of two rhyming words for the end of two lines, use the one with more sylables last.

If your half done with writing something for a track, just keep thinking about it wherever you are, and if something good hits ur head, right it down, even though chances are it wont fit to the beat but you can modify it later.

Sometimes its better to come up with a good punchline first (of say 4 bars) and work backwords from that.

Anyone got any other tips?

read some good books for inspiration

when freestyling think of a good couple lines to kick it off

don't let anyone tell you can't do it;)

Previosly on the Raiders show...

freestyling is all about stuff your herd before...am i not right??
but put it in your own words...... i listin to jedi mind to boost my skills like people use exercise for the metabolism

think.... like a jedi (lol)

->RaidersArk<-

Keep a notebook wit you at all times......
I mean everywhere you go...... Just goin out seein stuff can give you a sick idea......Or even watchin something plain as the news can give you fuel for your tracks..... and dont worry bout fittin it on a beat, when its time to record youll see how to switch stuff up......BUT ALWAYS JOT IT DOWN

Cadence. You need to establish a voice. No one really likes monotone (the exception goes to MF DOOM). Jay talks like he raps as if he's having a convo with you. You don't need to use the same voice as when you talk, but your rhymes need emotion and emphasis.

Don't try to make everything a punchline, I hear plenty of rappers that use "like" in every other line.

I bite ears like Mike / My wrist shines like light / I'm high like a kite / I got them hands like I fight

A verse like that is what I'm talkin about

Listen to what's hot. Not to copy them, but to find ways to not do what everyone else is doin'. Then you open eyes...

What i do when i freestyle, i think of the 2nd bars' last word first and then i try to make the 1st bars' end word rhyme with it. The 2ndbars end word has to be coo because thats the one that matters, so even if your 1st bars end word is hella whack, as long as it rhymes, people pay more attention to the 2nd bar cuz it sort of FINISHES the rhyme scheme ya feel me?

I think, if you really wanna be happy with yourself as a rapper, it is important to be true to yourself. The world doesnt need another wanna be pimpin millionaire who drinks crystal with chicken sandwiches. Rap about what you go thru, cuz that is what'll keep you going, what'll keep inspiring you
also, don't steal a specific sound or sort of rhyme scheme from your favorite rapper, seen this happen alot, and it just isn't right, find your own flow.

and, as jay-z put it: listen to the beat, what it says to you, what story it tells you (if you're writing to a beat)
and if you're writing to a certain rythme in your head, try to keep a steady vibe, and then find the right beat(this may sound logic but trust me, i've heard rhymes about death on a synthy club banger beat)

-edit
Plus most importantly, remember there are no rules as to how you have to write, rap or think. There are advices etc. But that's the beauty of hiphop, there are no boundaries..

thats about it i guess

Last edited:
Imagine

Before you write a rhyme imagine the face of the person you are talkin to! And try to influence it! Rap is not only expression, it is communucation as thow.

A mistake a lot of people make is writing a song like it's a stand alone verse. When you're writing a song, you should think of the title first, and the hook, and make the verses focussed on what the song's about.

Honestly as a producer.

I see this with rappers.

Delivery is very neglected.

Often times the artist has all the right concepts and ideas for a song, but can't rhyme 'kick to snare' for nothin. Often times the artist don't know how to ride beats, can't catch in to a natural swing. Swing is crucial. You know, that 'bounce'

Flow is crucial.

"It's not what you say, it's how you SAY it" remember that. Think about that before you get in the booth. Also rappers, practice reciting your verses emphasizing or stressing different words, like a drummer accents his sticking patterns.

I don't care about if regular rappers don't do it. But, you don't want to be regular right? Right.

Just my 2 cents.

PlanetHitzProduction said:
Honestly as a producer.

I see this with rappers.

"It's not what you say, it's how you SAY it" remember that. Think about that before you get in the booth. Also rappers, practice reciting your verses emphasizing or stressing different words, like a drummer accents his sticking patterns.

I feel that, but i'd say "It's what you say and how you say it". But he's right though. The way you say certain words might be different than others...embrace that. If the beat sways one way for a second, follow it vocally. Also, I hear heads straining their voice to do weird **** so they sound all crazy, or acting like they got a deeper voice on their recordings. You don't need to do all that...make your voice yours through delivery.
Stay up.
myspace.com/mcserif

i probably look like a spastic idiot whne i write alone i'm up walking around in circles dancing to the beat. i say the whole rap as i add a bar

so it looks like this

1 bar
2 bar recite

1 bar
2 bar
3 bar
4 bar recite

1 2 3 4 5 6 recite

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 recite

till i get to 16 this way you know it all flows and fits the beat. you develop the style/ flow of the song as u write then the rest of the songs writes itself.

final note: I suggest not trying to hard the best materiel is what comes easy to you.

And of course I often take the Jadakiss approach

Practice makes perfect
so before i wrtie verses
i smoke first and listen to (Bigs) first shyt

insert your favorite emcee not named marshall mathers there().

Last edited:
i hate when people give tips on rapping,there are no real tips its all about your own person,Keep the **** real do it your own way!How are u sapposed to be unique when u are doing it like everyone else

if ur a real mc u dont need tips

Last edited:
Rappers need to read. Get knowledge.

Pac was a reading man, and everybody wants to be as great as Pac LOL. Pick up a book. NaS educated himself, so did the Wu-Tang Clan.

Reading of all types helps you weave both 'knowledge' and street together.

LordOfTheSamples said:
i hate when people give tips on rapping,there are no real tips its all about your own person,Keep the **** real do it your own way!How are u sapposed to be unique when u are doing it like everyone else

if ur a real mc u dont need tips

worst advice ever.

Any body who has any success at any level of life has studied the game their in, this is how things progress in life. Whats the use in being unique if you suck?

Bonz said:
worst advice ever.

Any body who has any success at any level of life has studied the game their in, this is how things progress in life. Whats the use in being unique if you suck?

true true......

also what the other guy said about not trying too hard.

2 words.... breath control. Dont run out of gas in mid verse. Breath control is one of the most important aspects of delivery, and I hear MCs everyday that need a punch in or multiple takes to get their vocal tracks straight, and thats before doubles and ad libs. If you learn to monitor yourself, youre that much further ahead of the game. Dont rely on the engineer to compensate for your own laziness/lack of ability. Dont make your vocal tracks take 6 hours to lay down cause you cant carry your verse. Learn to spit right first.

Back