So you want to write great rap lyrics?

P

PiffMonster

I started writing rap lyrics at the age of 14 after listening to great artists on the radio like Eminem, Nas and Tupac. At 15 I was in the studio recording songs. Then at 16 I got a phone call from Rap A Lot Records CEO J Prince. Later on, I would get on mixtapes hosted by legends like Nas and NORE. I got plays on XM radio and even had one of the mixtapes featured in The Source Magazine. Writing rhymes down can be a lot of fun. If you have a real passion for it you will succeed. You must know that if you want to write down a rap and perform it later, there are some things you’ll need to know first. Here is a brief overview. A simple guide for the beginners. Get your vocabulary game up: READ BOOKS. Read books in order to bank words. If you read books chances are you’ll intake words right? Words are your ammunition. You wouldn’t go into a gunfight without ammunition, so don’t try and write a rap without a strong library in your brain. Trust me read every night for at least a half an hour and after a week or two of doing this you’ll find it easier to put together verses. If you absolutely hate reading then do crosswords or word searches. To be honest though, nothing beats straight reading.
Know the CRAFT!
What is a bar? Is a measure or segment of time that corresponds to a specific number of beats in which each beat is represented by a particular note value and the boundaries of the bar are indicated by vertical bar lines. Most rap verses are 16 bars and you can use current songs on the radio as a reference. Learn how to write 16 bars, 8 etc. stay structured. Know the difference.
How do Double rhymes work: halfwit /last hit – first grade-worst day- bomb detonation/ calm respiration. Try using double rhymes in your verse. A lot of beginners won’t have any change in their rhyme scheme. This is one way to add flavor and show off more ability. Compound rhyming is key to a good verse.
Do research by listening to the great ones: just listen to Nas, Eminem and Rakim while you write. I swear to you that if you listen to their songs, study their technique and use them as a guide, you will become better. Also here’s a website that can help too: rapping manual .com
Go do some research. See if you can find double rhymes in today’s music. Count the bars in a rappers verse. Don’t worry about subject matter first, get the necessary knowledge.
Practice writing verses and fit them to instrumentals. Here is a link to some great instrumentals. piffmonster . com
It is going to take time. Nobody writes great lyrics overnight. It takes years of listening, reading and writing.
Drop a link below or email me your lyrics and songs to critique.
Vol.2 coming next week.

google search: piffmonster
results: 437
If he was featured in the source, got plays on XM radio and had mixtapes "hosted" by Nas etc. dontcha think he would have a few more page hits?

"double rhymes" - first time ever hearing this termonology, still have no idea what he was trying to say, double indicates two? Compound rhymes can be several syllables. If you're trying to teach people something then don't confuse them with poor termonology.

If you posted this in the getting started section i wouldn't criticise this but you're going to come in here and teach people what a bar is? isn't that one of the first things people learn, after doing all this stuff you've claimed dont you have some deeper knowledge to drop?

Your other advice is read books and listen to music? I'm not impressed.

Rushed through blog

I rushed through this blog w out properly structuring it and getting my thoughts out clearly. I am aware that there are some flaws. I will formulate something more on point in the near future. I was hoping to make a simple guide and it isn't. Appreciate your reviews. As far as Google searching PiffMonster it's not my rap name. i realize I was tugging my dick a little. But it's all true. I did accomplish those things I listed. ill try to perfect my blogs better in the future.

I don't **** w lames, stay allergic, comin through. Rap Peyton manning start n put up 42. I let my 8 track bang, then I ran it into the ground, Cuz I wanted dat maybach money n all I got was this ounce. I'm talkin that layback money, so much you can't count. ***** open up that duffle bag n dump it all on that couch. Ugh..up in the lab in the zone. Gripping a bottle of tron smokin that killa fo reala flow zilla call up my drug dealer n tell Em it's on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rushed through this blog w out properly structuring it and getting my thoughts out clearly. I am aware that there are some flaws. I will formulate something more on point in the near future. I was hoping to make a simple guide and it isn't. Appreciate your reviews. As far as Google searching PiffMonster it's not my rap name. i realize I was tugging my dick a little. But it's all true. I did accomplish those things I listed. ill try to perfect my blogs better in the future.

You shouldn't big yourself up while staying anonymous (you shouldn't claim anything unless you can back it up). If you do have this experience for real i'm looking forward to seeing something a bit deeper out of you, Cheers.

Technique is everything man. If you want to write great use a technique that promotes focus, calculation, and execution. The technique that promotes that the best is writing in your head. No paper no pen. Right up in your grey matter baby brother.

Definitely agree reading is important, best to read the right books too. Things that help get your philosophy right. I like the post fam

Back