Picking a genre when you are inspired by so many?

Ninjazz

Recently I've been getting back into Synthpunk, New Wave, as well as some more modern derivatives like Minimal Wave, Electro-Punk and such. I tend to want to write music based on my feelings, which vary. Thing is the styles, the songs, don't always flow together like a cohesive album. I'm thinking maybe I gotta find a middle ground or maybe just do everything as separate projects. Like something more aggressive and punk and something a lil more Synthpop.

Any advice? Thanks.

you take what you like and put your twist on it. Copy cats and businessmen choose genres. Artist do them and remain true to their style.

yea dont choose a certain genre and try to imitate it..just do what u r inspired to do..and then in ur overall work when ur done u will be able to notice subtle charateristics of the music that has influenced you along the way...thats what originality is..stay true to ur self i think is the best advice..you need to find a way to separate urself from ur peers otherwise you will never stand out

me personally I believe everyone of my songs belong in a different genre..but I think its part of the evolution of the music industry..the jack of all trades artist is the musician of the future...not like totally different..like a country song and a gangsta rap song..but related by sub genres..and slight references to other genres...i think that is the future..in my humble opinion

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the replies. I'm not actually trying to imitate or force myself into a genre per se. I like a style of music and want to do something inspired by that genre, but the difficulty for me is that I want to put together an album that does have some cohesion. I guess I just need to make the songs without judgement and see where everything falls. Too I find myself challenged by the fact I really like the kinda "retro" 80's sound of punk/New Wave and the production aesthetic, but I also like some of the more modern stuff too.

Genres aren't even properly definable. No-one actually cares about the distinction between synthpunk and new wave, probably because there isn't one.

If you make music, you know what sounds cohesive and what doesn't. Perhaps you should just try and force yourself to write things that are cohesive until that project is done, then move on to a new project.

Or you could just make singles and short EPs. That's a perfectly legitimate thing to do, and plenty of electronic artists do that these days.

Yeah definitely try genre bending, you may come up with your own genre in your own lane and kill it... trial and error

Back