Near/Slant Rhyming Scheme for Rapping?! HELP

C

ChangeOfTheGame

Hey so I like rapping and all, And I found out the best rhyme I'm most comfortable with is the Near/Slant rhyme. So I'm thinking most rappers don't use it, and I could be REALLY good w/ it.

I just find one problem, I find out that it's taken by Earl Sweatshirt. Now I'm not a fan of his, but being unoriginal is the worst thing for me.

I really love Near/Slant rhymes and I'm really powerful with it, but it pisses me off that someone was earlier and took the style. Any solutions?!

to me that's like hearing "this guy has 3 syllable ryhmes, does that mean i can't do that?" If all it takes to define someone's style is saying he uses "near/slant ryhmes" then that's a pretty shallow. Just don't worry about it, take the good and leave the bad. Depending on what your tastes are you'll come out with something unique. You'll be alright.

Last edited:
Umm I hate to break this too you but 90% of all rappers use slant rhymes at some point in their raps lol.
This isn't new rappers been doing this ever since rap has been invented. Also your not copying someones style everyone copies someone at some point. Just like in nascar everyone has to have a car. In rap everyone makes 16 bar verses bad example but you get the point, there are certain things you can't avoid and have to copy at some point. Everyone copies something at some point but when you copy something you are supposed to take what you know and turn it into your own style make it your own sound. For example people might copy someones metaphor but use it in their own way so at least its not fully coping it.

You can be original but slant/rhyming and rhyming in general to me has nothing to do with being original because everyone does it, its something that is expected in rap. Originality comes from how you flow, tune your voice, dress, write your lyrics, how you place your rhyme scheme, what punchlines you came up with ect. Slant rhyming is nothing new I don't get why you think nobody does this because a shit load of people do it, I have slant rhymes I don't try to do it but if it sounds like it rhymes then I write it down this isn't anything new. I just listend to a papoose song and a hell rell song today where they were slant rhyming words.

If you think slant rhyming is something not alot of people do then you must not pay attention to the rhymes they rhyme much because alot of rappers use slant rhymes all the time even the main stream ones. Slant rhyming is not hard in fact its easier than rhyming because you can take a any word that doesn't rhyme and make it rhyme based on how you say it so you don't even have to think as much as finding perfect rhymes.

I agree with the previous poster. Most hip hop is dominated by slant rhymes. Perfect rhymes tend to sound amateurish at this point in the genre's life.

-E.

Back