Hard Critic, lack of talent or both?

5*general

Is feeling uncomfortable on stage as an hip hop emcee a sign to hang up the microphone and quit?

Sorry if my questions are all over the place and don't appear to coincide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without seeing/hearing the MC in-question (in order to make a truly valid assessment), I would have to venture a guess that it's a sign of not having enough experience/stage-time to be comfortable. Keep at it. And practice a lot, and rehearse even more.

Then, try what Joe Higgs made Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Livingstone do to prepare for and battle against stage-fright: Go to the graveyard at 2:00 am and run some raps. If you're cool there, you've got no excuse for being frightened on stage!!

GJ

TY for the feedback. Joe Higgs was on point! Sometimes I wonder if my lack style has anything to do with it.

Hell no... I used to be kind of shy to rap in front of people well I am only shy to certain people not random people.

For example there is NO way in hell I would rap in front of my uncle it just feels weird because I have to be all serious and shit.
I don't care about random people though, I will rap all day long in front of them if there is a beat on.
The reason why I say the whole stage freight thing is a hell no is because everyone can by pass it.

For example If I was alone and recorded something I would rap so beast that people cannot believe its the same person as me because I am usually quite and crack jokes all the time. I am a calm person unless I am rapping.

This ain't good advice for some people, but I just started to not give a F, when you get to a point to where you don't care about what people think then you get to a point to where you are more free with what you want to do and how far you will take it. Some people will stay shy forever, the best way is to start small, I started by rapping in front of friend first. Eventually you can rap in front of more and more people. I never rapped on stage but i would bet I can get enough confidence to if I am in the mood that I just don't care.

Here is a sign to quit - if you legit feel it in your heart/gut that you just ain't cut out for it
- if you don't want to put in the work to promote yourself ect.
- If you perform 20 times and every 20 times you get booed.
Then maybe you can CONSIDER it.

You may think why 20 times? Why would you not quit if you got booed the first time? Well because not everyone will like your stuff, eminem said he almost wanted to quit rap because he got booed doing a live performance so he doubted himself. Just think if he quit because of that there would be no eminem.

I think most of us have doubt but over coming doubt only comes with being more confident in how you see yourself.
It may come off as arragent or cocky but F it, thats what you gotta do to get over the doubt.
You gotta start looking at people like THEY are the crazy ones if they think you suck.

Nobody can make you quit, you can only make yourself quit, if you think you are good then do it, if you don't think you are the quit.
its quite simple. Hope this help some what... Hey everything I said is the reality of what goes on through peoples minds.

I appreciate the feedback yo. I wonder if there's anything that I don't doubt about myself that I can use to stem from when I feel uncomfortable on stage. Does that make sense? Like a memory or advice or even a pre-onstage ritual I can go to to help me alleviate the shyness and doubt.

I appreciate the feedback yo. I wonder if there's anything that I don't doubt about myself that I can use to stem from when I feel uncomfortable on stage. Does that make sense? Like a memory or advice or even a pre-onstage ritual I can go to to help me alleviate the shyness and doubt.
Hummm... well I would assume for myself that I would rap better if I had the song I made playing on stage at the same time because this way everyone is forced to hear what you sound like, and since you would be hearing yourself I would guess that would make you also make you try to match how you sounded on the song.

Like today, I walked across town to my one friends house to rap a verse I made today. I am usually kind of nervous when I always begin for some reason. One thing I know for sure is that after you get your screw ups out the way you start rapping how you should.Its still the same thing I said before, its the fact that when your not rapping your voice is kind of different so when you start rapping it makes you feel nervous because people are going to hear you in a more serious or different voice which is not normal for most people to just do.

Like I said, alot of people are shy to rap in front of certain people, even today after I was done rapping in front of my friend I think it still gives you a confidence boost to rap in front of people easier the next time. You can only mess up so many times....
I messed up at least 5-8 times when trying to rap my verse how I know I want it to come out my mouth, after a few messed ups and doing it over and over I eventually made it come out how I wanted him to hear it.

I'd just say its nervousness you have to get out your body by making your mistakes and getting over them and redoing it.
Because when I started today I can bet you that I did not sound as good as I was suppose to, but when I was done by the end of the day I was pretty much rapping as good as when I record alone.

Eh... its really ****ing embarassing to **** up but thats what you need to do to get your nervousness out the way.
Each time you do it the easier it should get. I am still kind of shy but not as much anymore. I would be willing to guess tomorrow I would have an easier time again since I already just rapped in front of my friend today so it would make me not care as much since I already did it before.

I think of it like high school presentations.... you shit your pants over something but when you are done you feel relieved and tell yourself it wasn't even that bad. To put it simpler we are all doing something that we have never done so we don't know what to expect. You have to do it to know what to expect next time and once you start doing it you will know what to expect so you should no longer be worried too much.

I think we will always have some sort of nervous feeling no matter what but it shouldn't be as bad

The best thing I can think of is to start in front of one person, when you become confident enough to where its not that bad maybe see if you can do it in front of someone else or two people that you know.

Last edited:
I don't rap as good in front of other people, it's weird but I bite my lip and do it - even if it sucks. I learned to appreciate the fact that someone's willing to listen to me, everyone that listen's to me is the reason I do it. If they thing I suck it's motivating, if they think I'm good it's motivating. I know I'll never quit rapping no matter what, and I've had my share of trials.

Just stick to it bro! Get pumped!

Back