You are not a rapper if you do not record yourself.

Desire Inspires

I see a lot of threads here with people posting lyrics. But I never hear people actually rapping over a beat. Why is that?

I cannot call anyone a rapper if I never hear that person rap. You should post the lyrics and post a link to you rapping those lyrics over a beat. All I see are words on a screen. Rap is about expression and emotion. I don't feel any expression or emotion from reading your words.

Please, add audio along with your lyrics. That way, we can read along as we hear you and can get a better understanding of how you sound. Rapping is about sound over time, not words on a screen.

If you are afraid or ashamed to add your audio here, you are not ready to be called a rapper. You have to step your game up and get people involved in your craft.

People don't call themselves musicians by writing music notes and asking for feedback. The notes themselves have to be expressed in order to evaluate the skill level of the musician. So you have to stop posting lyrics if you are not going to rap. Please stop writing and start rapping.

I see a lot of threads here with people posting lyrics. But I never hear people actually rapping over a beat. Why is that?

I cannot call anyone a rapper if I never hear that person rap. You should post the lyrics and post a link to you rapping those lyrics over a beat. All I see are words on a screen. Rap is about expression and emotion. I don't feel any expression or emotion from reading your words.

Please, add audio along with your lyrics. That way, we can read along as we hear you and can get a better understanding of how you sound. Rapping is about sound over time, not words on a screen.

If you are afraid or ashamed to add your audio here, you are not ready to be called a rapper. You have to step your game up and get people involved in your craft.

People don't call themselves musicians by writing music notes and asking for feedback. The notes themselves have to be expressed in order to evaluate the skill level of the musician. So you have to stop posting lyrics if you are not going to rap. Please stop writing and start rapping.

I consider this place somewhat of a safe haven where I can be fairly anonymous and share ideas/thoughts/etc. In which case I prefer not to post links to fully formed songs. I've been here a long time, in that time I have made several dumb posts of which I would not like exposed to everyone who listens to my music. Its painful how little value you put on actual words that people have written seeing as that out of everything is the longer and more arduous task. If you don't feel any emotion from reading words then I would hate to think what youre like reading books.

I consider this place somewhat of a safe haven where I can be fairly anonymous and share ideas/thoughts/etc. In which case I prefer not to post links to fully formed songs. I've been here a long time, in that time I have made several dumb posts of which I would not like exposed to everyone who listens to my music. Its painful how little value you put on actual words that people have written seeing as that out of everything is the longer and more arduous task. If you don't feel any emotion from reading words then I would hate to think what youre like reading books.

Rap lyrics and books are two different forms of writing. Rap lyrics do not tell a story the way a book does.

A rap song is just one person speaking, something like a soliloquy. There is no plot or other characters or narrative with rap lyrics. Plus, rap lyrics are meant to flow a certain way. That is why reading rap lyrics does not make sense. They words are meant to be performed. My whole point is that a rapper will never get better if he is not posting himself reciting the words.

A simple beat and a nice mic is enough to make a basic recording to determine if someone is on the right direction. Why in the world would someone want props for posting words themselves? The words are meant to be performed. Without the performance, the lyrics themselves have very limited value. People pay money to see rap music performed, not to read it on a screen.

Why can't people just perform the words? What is so hard about rapping? Thousands of people out here are rapping everyday and are getting better just by performing and making corrections. You cannot correct anything if you do not do any performances.

Rap lyrics and books are two different forms of writing. Rap lyrics do not tell a story the way a book does.

A rap song is just one person speaking, something like a soliloquy. There is no plot or other characters or narrative with rap lyrics. Plus, rap lyrics are meant to flow a certain way. That is why reading rap lyrics does not make sense. They words are meant to be performed. My whole point is that a rapper will never get better if he is not posting himself reciting the words.

A simple beat and a nice mic is enough to make a basic recording to determine if someone is on the right direction. Why in the world would someone want props for posting words themselves? The words are meant to be performed. Without the performance, the lyrics themselves have very limited value. People pay money to see rap music performed, not to read it on a screen.

Why can't people just perform the words? What is so hard about rapping? Thousands of people out here are rapping everyday and are getting better just by performing and making corrections. You cannot correct anything if you do not do any performances.

I feel you in the sense that an actual rapper must *RAP* to become better. But to say that the words on themselves mean nothing at all would be a obliteration of the essence of rapping.

If Slick Rick would be a mute he could sell his lyrics off as books or even movies where his dialogues are spoken. And have you ever heard (and read) One Love by Nas? Talking about plot and characters, shit even narrative. I personally don't enjoy Ghostface Killah his delivery, voice and flow but damn I love reading his lyrics. He paints Stephen King kind of horror scenes with just words, Wildflower is amazing due to the attention to storytelling detail.

I have to admit that most of the rap nowadays is indeed more about delivery. Illest beats, crazy flow but absolutely no content. I'm not saying it's bad, if i'm in the club i don't want to think about no deep shit.

Btw here is a link to one of my latest "storytelling" songs I just did. Of course I would love to get some feedback, Lyrics in the info section if you want to follow along with the story on screen.

https://soundcloud.com/elthemightyone/grand-uhuru-resident-46664

One, El

Last edited:
Back