Writing While Being Unrelatable?

D-toks

Hi FP fam,

I was wondering how those of you out there like me are able to write music for an audience when you don't really relate to people at all – when you're an unrelatable person for lack of a nicer way to put it? I ask because this is something that makes it a bit hard for me while writing: I want to write music that will resonate with people/that people will be able to relate to (and therefore enjoy) but the problem is I don't naturally relate to people and people don't seem to be able to relate to me. Thus, I feel a bit stuck at times when it comes to writing a song that is 100% authentic to me and a song that maybe people would relate to more even if it might be harder for me to write songs from that perspective. So yeah, I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense but hopefully it does. Thanks.

No, this doesn't make sense.
Write songs that "resonate" with you and then worry about finding your audience later.

There are many songs where people have no idea WHAT THE HELL the song is about.
Hopefully you're not confusing a general lack of interest for your music with 'not resonating'.

And post one of these songs or lyrics while you're at it.

I feel you I agree just do me don't think about the audience.

Good point regarding song meanings as well. I always like to genius/google/find song meanings if I like a song if I can...but you're right that's not a big deal to a lot of people.

With regards to the lack of interest vs not resonating I wasn't even thinking about that but I can see how you take it that way. I was referring more to daily interactions / communications with people when I speak about noticing it to be hard to find common ground/resonate. In terms of interest in my music that's important too but I try to focus on just working not getting caught up in statistics like plays and likes and stuff too too much because one can only expect so much as a non-established artist that's common sense. So no, I'm not confusing what you suggested.

As I post more original songs I'll share them here for sure. I have a song coming out Nov 30 on iTunes and whatnot so that would be a good one to post when the time comes.

Thanks for taking the time to read and post a response.

Think of it this way-- If you find it hard to connect, communicate; if you feel isolated sometimes, others must feel that way too. Consider writing from that perspective. Songs that touch people on a visceral/emotional level have reached wide audiences too...

GJ

That's sound advice thanks GJ. That's kind of how I do write tbh idk why all of a sudden I started wondering why I should think about what the listener's perspective is...should just keep focusing on my own like you and Griffin suggested and block the other thoughts I'm having about it out.

Not that you totally want to ignore that perspective when you are refining and editing; just not when you are brain-storming and creating-- that should be about your perspective!

GJ

I appreciate that advice. Gotta focus more on thinking about just what vibes with me when I'm creating as opposed to wondering whether what vibes with me will vibe with others during the creation process. Leave those thoughts to the end...and even then not get too hung up on trying to think for the listener and make assumptions.

Well it's Nov 30 and like I said a song with my lyrics is now out. Given what the thread is about the title may make you raise your eyebrows but lol...this is me and your thoughts are welcome I'd like to hear what you guys think. Thanks.

Communication is a feedback loop and it is from sender (artist) to receiver (listener). All the other minutiae is for marketing purposes (sex, gender, age, etc.)

When I write, I write for myself always and for my race (Black) and as a female who does Hip Hop I don't ask myself whether or not if I'm too "hard" (as women have long had to subscribe to what musicologist Cheryl Keyes called "male rules" in Rap) nor do I have to concern myself with, unlike men, being too "soft."

Wise words. Yeah honestly it's safe to say it's best not to get caught up in all of the other stuff because it's whatever. Even already I've even been told with this track by some people that the message is too depressing for them to enjoy the track...but then some people have said they like it a lot. So I guess whatever your story is...just tell it as it is and accept the fact that you're gonna alienate some people in the process of trying to find and bring people who feel your music even closer to you.

Last edited:
I have always just wrote what I felt. I never cared or worried how it came out because I knew what ever was coming out, was 100% the real me, and if people don't like it then so be it.
Don't over speculate on writing and induce writers block, just use a beat that gives you goosebumps and write what comes to mind!

I agree – 100% agree that writer's block really seems to fade away when you just focus on saying what you really want to say.

Part of the artist is to be able to use imagination and just be Yourself.
Best way to be Your true self is to turn off thinking. :)
Fear is the killer of the soul, so dont worry about opinions at all.

Last edited:
Back