Writing theory

T

thadon41

Man, I got too much time on my hands ..

Just wondered if ya'll got a theory on writing.
I listen to a wide range of artists(hiphop) and notice some rhyme bout anything in general, EG:what they see on tv etc. and some rhyme bout whats important to them, or whats happening/happened to them. Some are emotional, some are just straight funnin' it up ..lol

So, do ya'll prefer to write with a theme, EG:writing bout girls, a experience ya had.. or do ya just write bout anything in general that maybe happening at the time ? or both?

Whats your theory on writing?

Got me thinkin sa'll

Check me art :D

id.gif

liking that sig!!!!!!!!!!

everything that you have just mentioned i use......Tv is a great tool...because there is soooooo much to use as metaphors/references etc etc.....so are books.
the successful rapper is one that can tell a tale and make you feel like you are there with him....also make you laugh and make you think at the same time, i don't think that there is many out there like that anymore.....most use gimmicks...like DMX barking etc etc.....
annnyway.....ya gotta talk about whats happening to you and also around you...keeping real to yaself.

out

Learn Other Arts

And your writing gets better. I wrote when I was 16 that a person needs three things to develop into a "writer":

1. Read
2. Write
3. Experience

Not in that order. U can reference my last flow in "start a rhyme" to address this question. It's funny we were thinkin' about this at the sametime.

Also, most art is interpretive to some to degree which helps make it accessible to others. THat is, we refer to TV or movies or artists that other people can identify with. It's the whole art-within-an-art thing that connects the creative world.

I write 'cuz (and when) I have to.

One ATLien
:D :monkey: :D

When it comes to hiphop I basically just dig those who play around with words (eg. Dilated Peoples), those who write political lyrics (Dead Prez being a good example) and those who are plain sick and weird (Kool Keith with his various aliases would fit into this mold). Bragging about money, girls and stature doesn't wet my shorts at all, unless it's done in an ironical way.

When I said writing bout girls etc. I didnt mean like bragging bout money and hoe's...lol But I get your point clearly :)

"wet my shorts" LOL @ mattu -

I personally think without doubt you got to chat about what you feel and what you know. It can be anything but the brunt of it is human emotion. Personally writing for me is my therapy, my release, if sumin is plagueing my brain whether postively or negatively it will come out. Someone who inspires me beyond anyone is a lyricist I know and he said to me once that someone gave him a book about the structure of writing and formula's , there is like a archictecture to it. He new nuffin of this and had never used it but it kinda opened a new door for him to explore, and made me wanna hunt down this book!! Basically Im one that initially looks for substance but when I got hard into eminem the way he structured his words fascinated me , aswell as the fact he is a sick phuck. Thats the beauty of writing theres no rules, you make your own.

Back