Writers Block Problem / Help Needed

ObsidianHawk

Hello producers!
First of all i'm 16 years old currently.

I've been producing electronic music for 3 years now (brakes not included), I started messing around with FL, but quickly switched to Ableton Live, because I just never got used to FL.

My problem is writers block. I haven't produced a single track in those 3 years that i've been producing. I always get stuck when I need to write the melody. I usually like to compare my projects to similiar tracks, and see how my melody works out, but im never satisfied with it, this really makes me upset, because I would really like to make the music that i've always wanted to make.

I've tryed different ways to produce tracks, but with no success. I usually start my tracks, or my projects creating the peak of the track first, because this is the most energetic part of the song.

Any thoughts, or tips?
Thank you.

I mean i'm gonna just be completely honest. Since 15 i was to just do a lot of drugs and then make music, but thats just me ( drugs are bad dont do them ) Other than that before i hit the studio the whole day leading up to it i'll listen to a lot of different genres of music and mix it up get creative ideas.

Your writers block problem is incredibly simple to fix. Begin by focusing on what type of music you want to make - rap, dubstep, whatever - and focusing on the mood you wish to instill - like being high as hell, or angry, or whatever.

Now, once you've figured that out, look up some basic chord shapes and scales. Minor keys sound ominous, major sounds joyous. Figure out which one you want to use, and start ****ing around. Then when your done, export it immediately. It won't sound "finished" -- as in, this will MAKE A MILLION DOLLARS -- but it will be, for all intents and purposes, a rough guide for further refinement, or something to show kids at school when you say you're a producer.

Finally, ignore comparing your tracks to other peoples compositions. All that does is cloud your thought -- remember your creating music so that your personality is heard, your voice is the loudest. All your doing when comparing yourself is making yourself too anxious to make the track an MP3, and, therefore, wasting time from the important shit.

Do you play any instrument, or do you make your melodies by trial and error? Mastering an instrument will give you more knowledge and flow for making melodies. And of course listen to a poo load of music. And also play those melodies with your instrument. After all first stage of creativity is imitation.

Relax, take a step back from the music. Kick back and watch some telivision. Focus on something that has nothing to do with the music and let ideas flow through your mind. Go outside, experience everything that's around you and bring it into your mind to force a sense of creativity to flow through your mind. Try doing something new with your music even. But in my opinion, relaxing and leaving the music for just a while has ALWAYS worked for me and every time I've returned it's only gotten better and better.

I agree with Ay-En. I'm a producer and if ideas didn't flow through my head I'd just take a lil time off. Nothings gonna come if you force it man

Back