Workflow issues..... Any advice??

matthewm77

So I have this problem that comes up every now and then, more so when I first started producing. The past week its been pretty bad because I'm moving into some new genres and finding them really hard. Basically when I sit down to start producing, I can't get anything going and get sidetracked or just end up reading stuff about things music related and am not making any progress. I get frustrated and it impacts my mood. I start doubting myself and feel envious towards producers I like who are making good stuff consistently and a lot of them seem to have got to that point so quickly. I have a million ideas but have trouble translating them into my DAW, which is a pretty shitty feeling. Anyone have any advice?

I'm at that point right now as in workflow. I was on a roll a month ago, now I'm struggling to just open up fl studio, lol. producing beats is a long journey, I'm sure lots of the peeps on this board would agree with that, and they would tell you to stay positive and don't give up. maybe you are trying to move your workflow faster than you can think and that is causing your slump. Maybe take a break and watch tutorials and see if you can add what they are teaching to your resume. keep your mind in the game and the rest will follow

When I get writer's block, or I get stuck on a song for too long and lose interest, I'll actually start up 3-4 new songs.. just get some music and simple beats going (I make them different tempos and feels). Spend 20-30 minutes on each, and bounce around a little between them for the next few hours. If 2 turn into something useable, I'll keep going on them. Before I know it, I've got 2 new tracks within a few days. Not too bad...

I like having more than 1 song in the works at a time. The more I have going on, the better I focus.

Also, CATCH YOURSELF slacking off, and do something about it. Turn the TV off. Forget what other producers are doing to get on. What they're NOT doing is sitting around.

I happened on this to keep my computer from crashing, but simply put, turn off your internet connection when your working on music. It's way too easy to get distracted! There are some programs/apps that do it for you at programmed times, but basically just put your phone on airplane mode, turn the wifi off and give yourself the time to dig into your music. Good luck!

I'm on the same boat as you. I just always get side tracked reading articles about music mixing watching interviews and what not. I just always lose the will to do it, music that is. I see the odds and see how they are against me. The odds of making it big and actually becoming successful. It really discourages me alot. I'm working on trying to stop that habit but its hard. I just wish I had a nice AC room with 2 more creative individuals and we could just make music. But i'm alone trying to figure this out for now.

I'm on the same boat as you. I just always get side tracked reading articles about music mixing watching interviews and what not. I just always lose the will to do it, music that is. I see the odds and see how they are against me. The odds of making it big and actually becoming successful. It really discourages me alot. I'm working on trying to stop that habit but its hard. I just wish I had a nice AC room with 2 more creative individuals and we could just make music. But i'm alone trying to figure this out for now.

I was having a bad week musically when I wrote this but since then some things have really solidified in my mind that had been present for a while. Firstly, like people in this thread have said if you do get distracted turn off the distractions. Secondly a fear of not accomplishing your goals is not a valid reason. Think how dumb that really sounds, you are wasting time not producing because you are scared you won't reach your end goal. You won't reach it if you waste time thinking about that. Some of the most successful people in history took years and years before they caught a break. Some people have it way harder than you do and are still dedicating lots of time to music. And don't forget, this is built for people who are willing to do whatever it takes to succeed if you aren't that person, quit and let someone else do what you are trying to.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Get your mind out of anything related to music so when you're ready to go back in, your mind is fresh. Exercise, so you're more focused, it's overlooked[/FONT]

I agree with everyone here. Don't get caught up worrying about the producers who have hit there stride. Some of them may make it seem like they just out all of their equipment within the last year and already have a huge catalog overnight, but that may not be the case. Look for inspiration in your daily life and change up when/where you create. Maybe you create music in one part of the house and can change rooms, or equipment. Good luck man, I think you'll get over the block soon enough.

Solution simple dude. If you're getting distracted then illuminate the source of distraction. Where are you when you get distracted? At your computer ie..the same place you work, right? Well, have one computer for internet and shit and another for work, even at a different desk. I used to be addicted to computer games so guess what I did? Deleted them from computer...problem solved. get rid of the environment you associate the distraction with.

Back