Why Did You Start Writing Songs?

saint-hills

sainthils
I started when I was about 16, it was just the only way I could express certain emotions, I felt relieved after every time I did it so I kept on going. Now it's becoming a job :monkey:

So, how bout you?

music is one of the only things i can talk honestly about my feelings and no getting picked on as much. lol

Because I've always had a knack, and now I want a hobby where I have a chance at being commercially successful, so why not start where you have a bit of natural talent?. You know how some kids were just better at a subject in school than others, Advanced English really just seemed easy for me, and I couldn't understand how anyone could possibly fail it. I struggled with other subjects, but just found words easy. I liked witty hip hop, and could always remember lyrics better than anyone I knew, I guess the structure and composition of lyrics just fits well in my brain, so I said "I want to do that."

Because I've always had a knack, and now I want a hobby where I have a chance at being commercially successful, so why not start where you have a bit of natural talent?. You know how some kids were just better at a subject in school than others, Advanced English really just seemed easy for me, and I couldn't understand how anyone could possibly fail it. I struggled with other subjects, but just found words easy. I liked witty hip hop, and could always remember lyrics better than anyone I knew, I guess the structure and composition of lyrics just fits well in my brain, so I said "I want to do that."

sounds good, just remember that it doesn't only take talent, it takes a lot of effort too!

sounds good, just remember that it doesn't only take talent, it takes a lot of effort too!

I understand that, I'm just doing the equivalent of a tall guy signing up for the basketball team. I might be all thumbs when it comes down to it, but I've got a pretty solid plan and I'm pushing production and songwriting right up there on my priorities list. Hell. It's my birthday, I just did a 10 hour shift and still did 4 hours of music production study. If I can keep the commitment up there, I think I'll do alright!

I understand that, I'm just doing the equivalent of a tall guy signing up for the basketball team. I might be all thumbs when it comes down to it, but I've got a pretty solid plan and I'm pushing production and songwriting right up there on my priorities list. Hell. It's my birthday, I just did a 10 hour shift and still did 4 hours of music production study. If I can keep the commitment up there, I think I'll do alright!

smart analogy. happy birthday and keep at it!

I'm not entirely sure, at the beginning it could have been for the feeling you get when you're in the zone or perhaps i just wanted to create something i could be proud of or maybe even to escape from reality, reasons change as you progress.

I'm not entirely sure, at the beginning it could have been for the feeling you get when you're in the zone or perhaps i just wanted to create something i could be proud of or maybe even to escape from reality, reasons change as you progress.

I can totally relate to all of those points.

I started writing songs because all of my friends were musicians and I saw the excitement and enthusiasum they had doing it. I wanted to have as much fun as they did so I started doing it myself and now we all make music together.

I started 'writing' music at college 5 years ago when I was 18, I thought it would be a great and creative idea to make money and I paid (no pun intended) no attention to the art itself. I didn't have any knowledge about composing and playing any instrument. My music wasn't very good, which was very frustrating to me, which made me quit music very frequently, however, I came back to music even more frequently (usually if I quit something, I wouldn't come back to it). My brain nearly exploded from frustration as I hit writer's block from day one, but managed to develop my own creative process. I started showing more appreciation to the all different types of art; graphics, motion, movies, music, paintings, nature, human behaviour and personality etc etc, which has helped me improve a great deal.

I don't know why I wrote all of that.

I started writing music because I believe that it's what I was brought into this world to do. I remember my dad blasting 80s metal, classic rock, and pop when I was 3 or 4 years old, and I just fell in love with all those sounds. Music inspires me, and I want to inspire others.

I started writing songs because all of my friends were musicians and I saw the excitement and enthusiasum they had doing it. I wanted to have as much fun as they did so I started doing it myself and now we all make music together.

lucky you, most of my friends were definetly not musicians before I started!

Back in 8th grade one of my friends played guitar, and it was so fascinating to me. The following Christmas I got my first guitar, and I played it every day for years to come. Eventually it grew into more instruments, until I started making tracks. It's just a lot of fun for me

I'm just a track/beat maker/sound designer/sampler and using an maudio 88es piano for really simple riffs and melodies and chords with overdubbing doesn't count as "full on" writing in my opinion. So Instead of going farther with that, I decided recently to just take the shortcut route and learn more about notation, everything not just where all the notes are on the staffs everything, like portamento/glissando and all those terms for quavers and stuff.

I have drums and all that other crap down but what I really want to learn outside comfort zones is to just put down melodies I hear in my head, the ones that are more complex than simple long notes and chords and riffs and I think learning more about sheet music would make that a thing.

I'm just a track/beat maker/sound designer/sampler and using an maudio 88es piano for really simple riffs and melodies and chords with overdubbing doesn't count as "full on" writing in my opinion. So Instead of going farther with that, I decided recently to just take the shortcut route and learn more about notation, everything not just where all the notes are on the staffs everything, like portamento/glissando and all those terms for quavers and stuff.

I have drums and all that other crap down but what I really want to learn outside comfort zones is to just put down melodies I hear in my head, the ones that are more complex than simple long notes and chords and riffs and I think learning more about sheet music would make that a thing.

to me, any form of self expression which consists of sounds, is music. but i get what youre sayin and hats off for your effort in going around and trying to learn more. you should check out hooktheory. its a website platform and book that teaches music theory and a very unique and ingenious way and it has helped me a lot. good luck!

I wrote my first songs as a teenager because, although I liked playing covers, I always thought originality was better.

Over the years, I think I've gotten better at it. I'm now producing my band's CDs.

Mike in Tokyo

Back