Why Did You Start Writing Songs?

I started writing songs out of plain emotional reaction,I wanted to release my anger and take away all the burdens out of me with creativity,now I feel more calm and I enjoy writing lyrics and instrumentals more!

I started writing songs, because I've played guitar for a while, and I just kinda leaned in to it. It came naturally. There's something true about writing songs, which gives a great amount of satisfaction

I started yesterday cos a singer said they just sing and don't write and I heard a track that inspired me.

https://soundcloud.com/dkwmusic/baddest-ct

icon3.png
icon3.png
icon6.png
icon14.png

I started writing as a diary, simple rhymes about the things that happened and how it made me feel. Eventually there was a point in my life where I saw a lot of injustice happening. Seeing that I searched more into history, politics, mythology, theology and other fields where I felt that it became more corporate instead of for the better good of the people.

Think about if I wrote a full 45 minute speech, couple people at the end may go like "Right On!" or "Take your hand out my pocket!" but it would be more trans-agressive instead of as inspiring and uplifting hip-hop can be. I then took on writing to share stories, to share injustices, to spark interest. I want listeners to go like allright that sounds dope, those lyrics are cool but what does it all mean? Then seek for the deeper meaning, the essence of the speech.

Music is the way to change the world and bring people together. Peace, Love and having fun.

One, El

I started writing when I was 12, I started making my own lyrics to popular song's tunes and took it from there. I love music and wanted to create my own. As I cannot play any instruments at the moment, I started producing using free loops and samples and then wrote to the track I made. Sometimes I write lyrics first but I think it's hard making that into a track when you cannot play any instruments! Only produced a few demos but trying! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I found out that I could tell much more and much better than simply talking. Also, because I like the fact that I can write partially incomplete lines without having anyone saying "so what?"

Like many, I write out of emotion. I just write to release my feelings at the time.

a means to an end. to express and feel emotions i am usually too anxious to really feel in their glory. a way to warp the meaning of words to represent events in my life, or feelings that i am feeling, angst, sadness, happiness, anger, whatever, lyricism, along with learning how to play piano and guitar changed my life, now i produce predominantly but i have taken those experiences with music along with me the whole way, there really isnt a genre i havent played in succesfully.... in the small scheme of "popular music" from hardcore to pop to trap to surf rock to whatever, playing music and writing words is like therapy, and it makes someone like me feel productive, like atleast im creating something UNIQUE out of my own mind, expressing my mind, not just holding it all back.

I remember in first grade my teacher had the whole class write poetry and mine was about a fox and butterfly living in peace just being. I thought about it years later and realised how profund that was for a 6 year old so I've been writing ever since.

I started writing songs very young, and they were all terrible! But I just loved to do it so much! Finally now I am 20 years old and my songs have turned into hits!!! That's what happens after years of practice. Check out my music at DavidKemmererMusic on YouTube.

I started writing songs when I was 16 as well, I am now 22. I write them not only because I'm passionate about music but I'm also very intrigued by the way it works. I haven't the slightest clue what my formula looks like in theory but I feel it and it's evolving! "You don't have to reinvent the wheel, you just have to put your own spin on it!" - Raij

Last edited:
I write songs to express what I'm going through or what I'm feeling at the time. Even write to beats that resonate with my soul...or just practice. But definitely expressing my emotions through deep thoughts from going through something like depression, stress with family & non family members, etc.

I wish I knew. I'm 16 now, started writing when I was 13, although I'd say I only just started properly writing. I haven't yet recorded. I need to get a better pc and mic/interface first..

Back