What's really matter: lyrics or groove?

aesky

I often come up with a groove, then the lyrics starts to fill in and i write them down
But i forget the groove and the lyrics just looks like phrases with ABBA rhymes in my note book. I have a bunch of them.
This makes me wonder: are the lyrics really that important?
Because i see some non sense lyrics but with a nice groove and makes me think "man, he could've said anything there and would sound good.
Also about forgettin my stuff. Any tips?

For the forgetting part, I would recommend just recording it on your phone or whatever. Do this RIGHT when you think of it so you don't forget... grooves and melodies are really easy to forget if you haven't heard them a hundred times.

You're right, groove is often far more important than lyrics. Obviously great lyrics AND great groove is ideal but sometimes if it just sounds good than it just is good... I think people analyze this too much sometimes. I mean, if your lyrics are complete gibberish or very offensive then no matter how good your groove is, people will be turned off. But if your lyrics make sense and aren't completely insensitive than you should be fine ;)

Hope that helped.

​'willmarinbeats

I think they are at the same level. If you dont say nothing meanigful, I dont listen I just skip to next artist. If youre lyrics are good but you dont sound good, I will say you need to train and learn to sound better. Balance between everything is most importand.

I think it depends on the beat. If its hot then lyrics, but it the beat is sparse and not too crazy then you need to come with fire lyrics.

Back