What are Ways to Improve My Songwriting

banterross

Hi Future Producers Fam,

What can I do to strengthen my songs going forward, this is my latest song, feedback can be anything from actual beat to vocals.

Thanks

Appreciate it

Here is an interesting perspective. Pick up an instrument you have never played before and experiment with new tunes. It changes your songwriting techniques and you may generate new melodies you never thought possible. I write from piano, guitar, synthesizer, and drums.
I

Read more... could be books, news papers or whatever, anythin to enhance your vocabulary, and listening to more music see how the greats do it

Try this:

Take a couple of songs that you like and figure out their structure (chord progressions in the verse, pre chorus, chorus, bridge, outro, etc.). Take a look at the lyrics for each verse and figure out the number of lines and its rhyming scheme. Now rewrite that song using the same pattern, line lengths, # of lines, etc. and make a a finished product. Do it again for each of your favorite songs.

The goal is to have you absorb what works in music you already enjoy and to emulate the ppl you already get inspiration from. Ultimately the songs you create would be covers at best so it's not original work, but it's like songwriting with a template.

Hope that helps :)

Listen to your favorite artists and really study and break down the structures of their lyrics and how they organize songs.

Back