What kind of songs should I be releasing?

Firehound57

Hello there!

So I'm currently in the process of writing and recording demos of songs for my first "album" of sorts. I'm in quite a dilemma, however. I enjoy a theme to albums, and most of the songs on my album are about my life or where I want to be in life. Having depression, many of the songs are pretty slow and soft. I really like them, but I want to update and "poppy" sounding songs as well. I have a trendy sounding song I made that a like a lot, but it just doesn't feel like ME. I've had people tell me that I need to finish it though, and that it's one of my best. But, as I said, it just doesn't really fit well with me personally. People also say I should at least put stuff like it out for now to gain popularity then introduce my own style. I'm really confused on what to do? Should I finish it anyways or should I only finish the songs I personally feel "fit me". As I said, I don't dislike the song, it just seems way out of the normal for something I'd like to do.

Thanks! Have a great day! :)

If it doesn't feel good, don't do it. If the song is that good, it will stay that good, and you can always release it in the future when it fits you more emotionally. Never do it just for the popularity, that's a bad motivation in my opinion, you know hits come and they go, and there's enough people chasing that already, just keep your authenticity and make music that's honest, cause that's what people need imo. Follow your guts,

Pz

You should make music for yourself. If its good to you then release it, more than likely someone will relate. I relate to you :) check out unknown 757 on youtube.

Hey man I know what your issue is..

You are trying to force creativity... creativity cannot be forced... it is a force.

You have to allow that force to flow through you.

If you can't think of something to write it is because you a FORCING or BLOCKING the force that is already there within you.

Your mind is like a room. If there are too many thoughts in the room you will not be able to bring in new, creative thoughts.

So how do you become more creative?

You empty out your mind. With an empty mind you allow the energies to move through you.

I hope I helped man!
----

EyeAm.
The Masked Man.
EyeAm. The Masked Man. [Producer / Engineer] – Self Growth

Make what you feel, don't delete anything, make things better, till you would feel happy listening to your own stuff on the bus :D

I'd recommend you keep it true to yourself first and foremost. It won't sound genuine otherwise.

Never do something if it doesn't feel like you, even though that it could gain you more popularity. Lady Gaga, for example, wished that she started out her career in a more personal style than in what made her famous.

Never do something if it doesn't feel like you, even though that it could gain you more popularity. Lady Gaga, for example, wished that she started out her career in a more personal style than in what made her famous.
Lady Gaga wanted to be an actress to begin with, but pursued her music career as it began to take off first. I guess the lesson to learn from that is that sometimes things don't always turn out as we expect or want them to. Don't be afraid to experiment and go with the flow if you're finding success, creativity comes out on many different levels and you can be successful at many more things that you think possible of your self. And even if you're taking the scenic route to your ultimate goal, you can still get there and use all the lessons you've learned in the process to truly find your self.

[/philosophical rant]

Back