Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Love Or Hate Most About Writing Songs?

Thanks

What Do You Love Or Hate Most About Writing Songs?

Sign in to disable this ad
    What goes through your mind as you write songs.. Is it that feeling you love no matter what you're writing or that feeling like damn.. I hate when this or that happens.. Share your thoughts with us

Thanks
    When I write I don't compare myself to any of the pros who have made it in Hip Hop as no artist has control of the cultural landscape he or she develops their artistic identity in. The only thing that goes through my mind is how I surprise myself with my dopeness.
    "Rap is only one end of a whole spectrum of verbal play and virtuosity. Rap is geared for aural pleasure." Rita Dove

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OGBama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love turning poetry into lyrics and chords in to melodies.

Thanks
    Hate mixing.

Thanks
    I love it.Oxygen fresh air

Thanks
    I write sometimes and often find myself frustrated. I don't compare myself to other artists, whether big names or not. But I feel like all of my stuff sounds the same as the last stuff I wrote. It gets really old really quickly. I may just not be approaching it correctly or I'm not getting inspired enough, but it's not often that I write anyhow.

Thanks
    I hate writers block, I suppose I should write a song about writers block then lol.

Thanks
    I go through a lot of those "I hate this verse" moments,
    but there's a certain feeling I get when I know when a verse is ready to record.

and I just go off that feeling.

Thanks
    When I write I typically have some kinda reference going on in my head and such a good familiarity with my DAW that I can whip together an idea for an entire song in a day........ Fine tuning everything is a pain in the ass, though. Making sure all the notes are on beat, EQing the kick just perfectly so it punches through the sub, removing all the mud, getting the levels right, getting the waveform to not look like a spikey mess of kicks and snares. All that stuff that seems like minutia is actually super important for a listener (even me when I listen) so you always get that shit situated correctly. Transitions, effect wetness, EQ, compression, pannnig, all very important. I won't release "trash songs" so the post-production stage of music is the most time consuming and boring. Every song is a new learning experience though so sometimes you gotta just release that shit and move on.

Also something I find frustrating is not being able to find good answers online, everyone seems to have the "right way" to EQ a punchy kick or compress a snare, but they're all different. You never know if they're mixing punk, or blues, or rap, or metal, or EDM which are all mixed in completely different ways. Since I'm into trippy electronic music I gotta search through "EDM" tutorials to help me get the kinda sound I'm looking for and if I'm lucky I'll find something sorta similar to what I want. You can't get a room shaking sub bass using jazz bass EQ techniques...

Thanks
    maybe learn new techniques and skills then write again?

Thread Information