What do you do when you're just not feeling it?

Olie

I've noticed the mood i have to get in to write well is the same mood to enjoy music the most and be able to rap well etc. It's a free flowing uninhibited mood where i'm positive about everything (not necessarily happy or sad) and have an abundance of energy.

The best way to describe it is i'm just "feeling it", i can bob my head to my favourite songs and feel good. It's sort of comparable to excitement/positive anticipation for the future. When i can't write it's the opposite, everything sounds just as good but i'm not "feeling it".

Does anyone know what i mean? It's doing my head in that i can't just flip a switch in my brain to get back in that state and write again.

:hmmm:

I have similar mood swings when it comes to creativity. They can actually be quite annoying. lol

-kara
kazarabeats.com

I gotta say, this Winter is wearing on me at this point. Plus I've been fighting this cold/flu for almost a week. Currently not "feeling it", from the production side. So yeah, I just try to network and promote my music. Do some bookkeeping like registering copyrights, or organizing a few things here and there. At least it makes me feel like I'm still working. The creativity and good vibes will return soon enough.

I think this is debatable, but in this case, I'm not trying to force myself to be creative. Maybe some would say I should. But my head is just pounding right now...

Try listening to some music that you would never think to listen to. It could help to jumpstart your creativity and send you in a new direction.

Try listening to some music that you would never think to listen to. It could help to jumpstart your creativity and send you in a new direction.

I had never really tried that before although it had been mentioned several times before to me. It does seem to help to some extent but sometimes i just cant shake it. The most important thing in listening to something different is keep searching till you find something you really like. It gets you (or just me) hyped and you can bring that energy to your own writing.

When Im in a down period, creatively, I use the time to listen to new music to get inspiration, clean up my sample and preset library and watch tutorials on mixing/techniques etc.

I totally feel you bro. The best thing is to recognize when the positive energy is coming and maximize it to your fullest. keep going at a steady pace so you dont lose the energy. if you dont have the drive, never force it because forcing it will just turn it to shit. when you dont have the drive, focus your energy on something either than music and be productive in that.

I know what you mean. I have sudden days when I'm like yo I'm gunna work on a bunch of beats today, then I'm gunna sit down write some lyrics, I'm gunna hop in the booth and record this, and I enjoy every moment when I'm "feelin it". Then some days I just do not want to do anything creative whatsoever. It's really annoying but you deal with it. When I'm not "feelin it" i don't try to force it. I just take a break and chill with the homies for a while. Eventually I'll get back in the mood again.

It was already mentioned, but I just sit down and listen to music. I try to absorb as much as I can from as many genres as I can in a short period of time. I'll go from spinning a soul record to throwing on Tool or Led Zeppelin on Spotify and just roll with what feels good. I write more than I produce, so I'll often resort to reading a lot, too. Helps with the imagery side of things. I'll literally sit down and write a short story or something to get my creative juices going, and then put those thoughts I have there with the drum patterns that are going in my head from the time I spent listening to tunes. Basically, the key is to stay creative, but by using different outlets.

As a producer I find it so difficult getting around to do anything when I'm not "feeling it". I hate myself for it, but I think getting back to it is something we can all learn to do a little better. Bounce back and get into your creative zone, don't got motivation? Get to watching what you dream of (cars, houses, events, awards, etc) and get inspired. Looking at my situation and knowing it could be better (not complaining) always works for me.

If you're not feeling it, take a break and do something else. You shouldn't have to force what you write. The best ideas appear when your mind is clear.

I stop music altogether for like 3-4 days, or do something else related to music (education, promotion, etc...) and most of the time I listen back to songs that got me into it or new mindblowing tracks and I'm back again.

I take it as a sign that my creative juices aren't flowing and back off of writing and move on to something else for the time being.

I always listen to my favorite albums, go out and walk around a bit, play video games, just do anything to get my mind away from what I want it to do, idk if that makes sense. Then usually I can come back to it a bit later and everything just starts to flow again.

Back