Various Song Writing Techniques

Platinum Vocals

Song writing is quite interesting. I have been writing songs for as long as I can remember. I have also encountered others who write and they all seem to have their own unique way of writing songs. Some use poetry and convert that into song lyrics, some utilize other methods. With me I usually freestyle my song lyrics off the top of my head. I also usually turn on a track to get my creative energy going. I think writing meaningful lyrics is very vital to creating a dynamic song. However, most songs especially rap and hip hop which I love by the way, are driven by beats. People hear the beats and hooks and rarely focus on the lyrics but for me I like to dissect the song entirely focusing on lyrics, hooks and the track. Peace.

Lyrics don't have to be truly meaningful, just something with substance, as a matter of fact, lyrics don't have to be anything at all

I agree lyrics don't need to always be dynamic to make a statement as long as you have a tight track and a catchy hook. I have found myself many times bobbin my head to a rap song even though the lyrics may not be the best. I should correct my post and say when I mentioned the importance of lyrics I was really speaking about those rappers who are labeled as true lyricist. I agree with you lyrics may not always need to be the main focus but I like to zero in on lyrics most of the time because I am also writer. I like to see if the rapper is using metaphors or just how they deliver their story to the listening audience. In the end I guess its not all about lyrics it's about how much seasoning the artist adds to the mix before they put it in the oven and serve it on a platter. Peace.

I feel like a song can still be good if the lyrics are at least understandable and catchy but to make a song last for many years I feel good lyrics that follow all the different aspects of writing last longer.

Song writing is quite interesting. I have been writing songs for as long as I can remember. I have also encountered others who write and they all seem to have their own unique way of writing songs. Some use poetry and convert that into song lyrics, some utilize other methods. With me I usually freestyle my song lyrics off the top of my head. I also usually turn on a track to get my creative energy going. I think writing meaningful lyrics is very vital to creating a dynamic song. However, most songs especially rap and hip hop which I love by the way, are driven by beats. People hear the beats and hooks and rarely focus on the lyrics but for me I like to dissect the song entirely focusing on lyrics, hooks and the track. Peace.

me too, clever lyrics are the reason i stay for a song tho. lol ur right tho, lyrics dont have to be genius. (burn shit kill people **** school) - but personally i feel like a song sticks with me more if it brings me someplace. gives me value in a sense of poetry or whatever. my favorite bands are my favorite lyricists lol. also i guess it wouldnt hurt to study shakespeare and such if lyrics are the route you're thinking of going.

My songwriting techniques vary with the kind of content I'm going for.

When I make socio-political songs I want my content to be researched as thoroughly as possible before I even start at the point where I go write rhymes and think about flow. Every statement I make and claim to be truth must be backed up with multiple layers of facts *not opinions*.

Except for in a song where I state my personal opinion, then I may research other people their opinions and seek where their ideology comes from and bounce with that.

For a storytelling setting I try to stay as real as possible, recalling vivid memories or details of certain places. Even when I read a book and the writer paints a descriptive picture with his words I store those details in my mental database to use as my own setting when trying to make a story more exciting.

And emotional songs I just lock myself up with my feelings and let it drip out off my pen.

Funny thing I noticed with myself that my emotional songs are usually written within some hours and political songs between weeks and months. But they both contain the same level of excitement/flow/delivery.

There are no rules with song writing, you have to go with what you connect with. I usually start working on the top line, I tend to hum a melody first. Sometimes I record it over the beat to see how it sounds and try and fit words to it. I often find the lyrics are already hidden in the melody you just have to discover them.

As a basic principle, if my top line says something like 'I will always love you' I will go on to explain why in the first verse and then more detail in the second

It's important for people to be able to imagine what you're saying. You can get inspiration from real life situations or look in the newspapers/magazines

Get high, record your melody. Go back and write to it half baked. A book of words you feel fit the beat is always a good way if you want to freestyle on it first.

Back