The Sounds of an Album

Joey 2x4

Ok, so I've posted this in different places before and I'm really looking for peoples opinions.

Let's say I was making an album (I am) but me as an artist has yet to find a style and stick to it.

So as a rapper I have done boom bap, trap (my twist on it, i call it emo trap), some meme tracks (funny songs), and some slow jazzy stuff.

I have at least 8 albums worth of music...if I cut that down to the really good tracks maybe 3 albums worth. But when I start putting together track lists for an album I always come to an album with these styles scattered throughout. I kind kind of create a list of songs that follow each other well...but I'm worried about that turning people off. At the same time I feel it can create a wider audience.

What are y'alls opinion? Does anyone have examples of albums with varying styles?

I know plenty of acts that put out albums and each one has a different sound (AFI, Brand New, Kanye, etc.) but none that have different styles in one album. Maybe it should just be a mixtape.

I'm no expert, but what I've always understood is it seems that an album should definitely be cohesive throughout. Mixtapes, no, not really - they're just a mix of various tracks. Albums should be consistent, cohesive, and all the tracks should jive well together, from one to the next.

Take into account, but do not dumb down the way(s) in which you express yourself, that Hip Hop fans are notoriously fickle in that they will turn on you when you try something contrary to what they are accustomed to, and simultaneous berate you for artistic stagnation. In this microwave era EPs may be better than albums.

Well thats the thing, if I set the expectation of me doing everything and anything...I can't really be judged on not being me if I don't do everything? A lot of it draws from Kanye (and other artists like Rozz Williams and AFI) changing their sound with each album.

Well thats the thing, if I set the expectation of me doing everything and anything...I can't really be judged on not being me if I don't do everything? A lot of it draws from Kanye (and other artists like Rozz Williams and AFI) changing their sound with each album.

:4theloveofgod:at artists thinking they must do literally everything. Please understand that you do not need nor should you have to.

Last edited:
I never said I need to to do everything, I typically want to. A new style appears and I'm curious and try it or I'm constantly messing with my own style, changing it.

Back