Songwriting. Does this happen to you?:

Rocket1203

A bit long, but I need some help!

I've made music for about 10 years now. I mostly write 'pop'. Olly Murs, Bruno Mars, acoustic guitars, piano, radio type.

My strengths lie in lyrics and melody, but I understand music, chords, and am pretty good now at the production side too.

I'll usually write a song in my head, starting with the vocal line. That will determine the speed and beat of the song. And I'll know what chords I need to use.

The problem arises when I try to record the song. I like to think of it this way; imagine a famous song in your mind. Michael Jackson, Man in the Mirror. For example.

You can imagine that song in your head can't you. You could sing it to someone, snapping your fingers where the snare would be. You can imagine the backing music, drums etc.

But if you sat down to try and record that song without listening to it, do you think you could do it? Where does the kick drum actually hit in the bar? What does the piano do? Is it a snare or a clap?

It's like imagining a Simpsons character. You know perfectly in your head what they look like. But try and draw them from memory.

Does anyone else have this 'block'?

Driving me mad!

The problem arises when I try to record the song. I like to think of it this way; imagine a famous song in your mind. Michael Jackson, Man in the Mirror. For example.

You can imagine that song in your head can't you. You could sing it to someone, snapping your fingers where the snare would be. You can imagine the backing music, drums etc.

But if you sat down to try and record that song without listening to it, do you think you could do it? Where does the kick drum actually hit in the bar? What does the piano do? Is it a snare or a clap?

It's like imagining a Simpsons character. You know perfectly in your head what they look like. But try and draw them from memory.

Does anyone else have this 'block'?

Driving me mad!

That's not really analogous to your issue.

Transcribing somebody's full production of a song from memory is a "memory" issue… NOT a "writing" issue.

Yes, I can sing those songs in my head. Could I re-record the entire song as it is on the record from memory? probably not.

Could I create a full song production from scratch that goes along with the melody where it may not be like the original version but sound great as my own "cover" of the song? Absolutely. With ease.

Yeeeah probably not the best analogy...

I feel like the songs I write are complete in my head. I just can't 'get them down'.

It's mostly the groove and beat I have trouble with. Got a song at the moment and I feel like I've tried every beat :/

I wrote a song a while back and the groove didn't make me 'feeeeeel' anything. But then 'all about that bass' came out, pretty much using the grove i was using. So why did my song not make me feel like AATB did?

Sometimes!!! I'll sample the drums from a song I love, as soon as it's dropped into my DAW it loses its magic.

It's blatantly me! ?

In my experience it never comes out like it sounds in my head. But sometimes it comes out better. You have to develop a confidence in your own sensibilities and keep pushing until it sounds right. Each new part of a track has to be a response other parts, a music conversation that makes sense. A beat by itself has no context without the other parts. It's like talking to the wall.

I always try to feel the essence or mood of what im going for and let that be the drive for the song as a whole

Back