Songwriting

Micro79

I gotta quick question for everyone. If I create a track with drums, bass, synths, Rhodes, pianos, etc. and I create that first, which is the arrangement. Then compose the melodies on top of this after the track is made. But instead of having a singer, sing this with lyrics maybe. I choose another instrument that takes the lead. Like synth lead or flute, or something in that nature. Would I be the songwriter of this SONG. Or the compose or this SONG?

If you're doing everything then you're probably considered both. I'd lean more towards composer though. Composing is mixing all the elements together into a "composition"

Ok I thought so. Thanks for the feedback bro. I knew I wasn't bugging. I've always known songwriters to compose melodies for the voice to sing. With or without lyrics. I'm aware that a composer in the popular music idiom is called a songwriter. Which means you can compose music for a saxophone to play, as the lead instrument. Especially if this is your main instrument you play. I've seen this title by Grover Washington Jr. And he's a jazz guy. But, Bob James is a composer. And composes music for the electric piano, or any keyboard instrument to play. it's just the form of music that is different. So, the small confusing issue is when you're told that a composer writes music for an instrument to play, and a songwriter writes music for the voice to sing, it can be something to think about. I'm pretty sure most musicians, when making music, start with a chord progression. Or melody first. But, some might start with drums or whatever inspires you. I guess the point is knowing you job/position, and playing it well. It's still too many musicians that compose compositions, and call themselves a music producer. While a producers main concern would be the sonics of the songs.

Back