Rap...how To Start Off?

T

TJAE

Yo Fp....im looking to rap,well learn how to start off etc,, jus need help how to start making my own rhymes etc... and help please help,i mite be from Uk but im only into American Rap but its sumat i listen to everday,car at home, at da boxin club.. if you got respect like i do for rap...help a bruva out.

A rhyme is a simple thing, I'm sure you can figure that out.

However, when you're writing rhymes, structure them in to paired lines.

I.E.

Blastin' plasma static attacks at my enemies/
Spazzin out passersby who fail in befriending me/

Each line will fit to one bar of music (kick-snare-kick-snare).

Keep this in mind and you should find your way fairly easily.

-E.T.

Listen to your favourite rappers then emulate the way they take breaths and the way they flip the words. When I started out I listened to the most advanced flows i.e. Nas, Rakim, Big Pun, Raekwon because emulating simple rapers will make your style simple.
Remember: Anyone can rap but are you just looking to write a few rhymes or are you looking to rhyme artistically? If so expect a long fullfilled journey where you will accquire unique skills.

PS: I'm from the UK too that don't mean nadda!!! :cheers:

www.myspace.com/wize7

Gripp said:
Just don't.

Agreed, No hatin' or being a prick. But, my -->opinion<-- is if u gotta "learn" how to rap you shouldn't. Rappin' should come to you like its ur first language.
Fluent, and delivered with ease.

E.T. Science said:
A rhyme is a simple thing, I'm sure you can figure that out.

However, when you're writing rhymes, structure them in to paired lines.

I.E.

Blastin' plasma static attacks at my enemies/
Spazzin out passersby who fail in befriending me/

Each line will fit to one bar of music (kick-snare-kick-snare).

Keep this in mind and you should find your way fairly easily.

-E.T.

Dont focus on a kick and snare. that draws ur attention from the task at hand. your better off feelin the beat, mumblin of lil nothings then figurin' what those mumbles were really sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSinBTonez said:
Agreed, No hatin' or being a prick. But, my -->opinion<-- is if u gotta "learn" how to rap you shouldn't. Rappin' should come to you like its ur first language.
Fluent, and delivered with ease.
Oh, no. Not at all what I was saying. Even prodigies have to learn.

I was saying that if you think that the way to learn to rap is to ask about it on a forum online, then you shouldn't.

Hah! I misread your name LS and thought it said "LSBinTones"... my cousin would like those.

To other topics. I think it's important to know that your flow is fitting the beat. You need to know what to follow in order to be able to flow, you know?

Later on get more creative, but for now he should stick to the following of the kick snare, in my opinion.

-E.T.

i would say learn the basics of writing rhymes and write as much as u can and then freestyle as much as u can cuz it helps u develop ur flow and ur style

you do...

ive taught people that didnt have a clue and now there pretty ill.

its better if u have some kinda talent before you learn but u can learn writing techniques.

then its knowing how to deliver what you write. As long as u put the right emotion into what your rapping, and build some kinda presence the rest will come with time

You can learn to rap, but you don't do it on a message board. So let's end this stupid bull**** now, please.

why not on a messageboard forum? i learnt alot (infact nearly all) of what i know about technical writing from the old battle forum i was on.

So why not on a messageboard? were there may be people that are more experienced writers.

My guide is based on what i learnt from people on that battle forum, and my own take on it after experience

You can learn to rap, it helps to have talent there already but if not you can still learn the basics of rapping techniques and everything you need to know about technical writing - the rest will come with time and experience

You? Are you one of these experienced writers? One of those experienced writers who uses words like "learnt," spells "where" with no H, and is afraid of periods?

You can't learn anything about flow, delivery, intonation, or a whole slew of other things that relate to rap, as it's a performance genre of poetry. If you mean that you can learn really extremely technical things like definitions, then sure. You can learn what an alliteration is, but you won't learn how to apply it. You can learn algorithms that people use for generating more rhyming phrases, but if your issue is coming up with rhymes-- which in my opinion is the easiest part of rapping-- then you really don't need to be rapping in the first place.

So yes, you can learn some things from message boards. But the things that you can learn from message boards are things that, if you actually have any chance at being any good, you shouldn't need a message board to learn.

So just don't bother.

Last edited:
i know people that have learnt to use alliteration/multi syllable rhyming/punchlines/wordplay/personals/and all other aspects to a high level. Once you understand what they are and the purpose of them...practice makes perfect

Why would i need to use a period in a verse?

a lot of those posts mite not make sense.. Some of the guys are rhyming a bit complex in there examples.. At first use really basic rhymes.. I.E.. cat... hat...bat... pat ... flat . Then once you incorporate them into your lyrics try and get a little more complex and rhyme with syllables aswell . Look at bud bunners guide.. it will help a lot .

^he knows

everyone starts somewhere but if you can keep learning then you can learn from scratch

U can learn from a message board Gripp .. its a technique .. which is built up of many aspects .. Its like learning a language online.. Which is easily done.. Rap has a lnguage. .. and certain aspects you must follow.. Once you've conquered all of these you will be able to textcee.. im not sayin you will be able to put this to track .. because some people are unable to flow on a beat. but as text then you will definately murk! .

^exactly the rest is learning to deliver the lyrics u wrote, which you need some talent before hand to do

Back